7. Asura

Viraj was going through his businesses, trying to cut down losses, when suddenly, he felt something weird. Something was happening. His eyes closed and he concentrated in between his eyebrows, heat radiating off him. Vijay entered his room, worried as to why he was getting late for his next meeting. However, his eyes widened as he realized the temperature of the room.

Viraj got up suddenly, making Vijay flinch. The energy radiating off him was scary. Viraj quickly ordered Vijay, "Call back at home, lock Vishnuyasha's room's door and make sure to tell everyone not to approach Sumati."

Vijay was very weirded out but he did not question it and did as told, seeing Viraj hurry out the door. What was happening? Why did he use his own formal name? These names were used only in the business world. What was happening?

Vijay decided it was wise to handle the storm Viraj had mindlessly left behind. He had to act as the one in command after the commander had left. He was the second in command after all. Sighing, he attended the meeting and postponed or cancelled the next ones, before heading back home.

Mahamaya was having bad thoughts for a few days. She knew these thoughts were not her own. She never had such destructive thoughts. As Tara was making fuss while eating her food, something inside her told her again and again to shove the food down the toddler's throat. It had been a few days since she had not done her daily worship. Her mind was growing weaker and weaker as she would do her daily yoga routine. 

As Tara threw a tantrum about eating her food again, Mahamaya took the spoon and was about to force the food down the girl's throat before her left hand caught her right and she screamed, her eyes watering, "Go outside and lock the door from outside. Go, don't worry about me. Find an elder and call y-your father, go"

Mahamaya's face was pink as she looked as if she was fighting something. Tara did not question her as she ran away and locked the door, going to find someone who could help. 

Viraj appeared with the car, stepping inside the house. He had noticed the change in Mahamaya. It was not a gradual change at all. It had started a week ago, when she was struggling to do some things. It was not like she could not do some things but her tendency had become destructive.

Yesterday one of the women in his home told him that she had tried attacking Tara but had fainted instead. She was normal after she woke up. Day before yesterday, she had fired one of the best teachers in their orphanage. He had to overturn her decision without her knowledge.

Tara came running to him with red eyes as she explained, "M-Maayi, she is in pain Aaba."

Viraj felt sorry about her as he told her, "Shant ho majhi bahuli. Go and find my Maayi and stay with her till I tell you otherwise, go."

Tara nodded, sniffling as he caressed her hair and ran to his room. It was locked but there were deep breathing sounds coming from inside. He opened the door as he was attacked. He locked her hands above her head with one hand but she was attacking with inhumane strength.

Sighing, he breathed hard, before he pressed in between her eyes, which was normally covered with her tikli but currently, it was empty, as it was since the last five days.

She calmed down immediately as he hugged her and both of them found themselves surrounded by five asuras around her. The asuras were on another plane of existence because of warriors like Arjuna and Sri Krishna but they could still manipulate minds of powerful people on Earth. They normally went after those with power because they could cause maximum destruction through them. Even Mahamaya was with Narada, she was vulnerable and was attacked. They were influencing her mind since then and she had noticed. She had destructive tendencies and always wanted to argue, gossip, quarrel and fight but she had reigned herself in. The asuras were mostly concerned about Tara for some reason.

Both of them looked at each other, knowing fully well as to what to do. They should contact the more powerful deities or those who are near to them, like Bhairava, Bhairavi, Kali, Narasimha, Tara and so on and both of them, without speaking, chose one.

Their eyes closed as Hanuman chalisa flowed from their lips like a powerful river, cleaning the asuras and driving them away. By the time they were done, none of the asuras was near them.

They both panted hard, leaning again each other, before they hugged each other tighter. Tears of appreciation left Mahamaya's eyes as Viraj said nothing, just kept shushing near her ear and wiping those tears away. Tara peaked in and Mahamaya saw her, chuckling and extending her arms as Tara ran in her arms and hugged her super tight. Viraj grinned and hugged both of them as Vijay had arrived.

He was so worried. What had made his best friend run so fast? He felt betrayed as he took in the scene and asked, "Yes yes, now you got a wife and a daughter. Why will you care about me?"

Viraj chuckled and extended his arm for him as Vijay joined the hug. Mahamaya felt blessed as she sniffled once again, enjoying the hug...

*****

Vocabulary:

Shant ho majhi bahuli: Calm down my doll

Tikli: bindi, drawing between eyebrows

Bhairava: a form of Shiva, mostly worshipped on cremation grounds

Bhairavi: consort of the Bhairava, form of Shakti

Kali: powerful form of Shakti

Narasimha: half lion half human form of Sri Vishnu

Tara: powerful form of Shakti, is a main Goddess in Hinduism as well as Buddhism

Hanuman: powerful incarnation of Shiva, he is still on this earthly plane

Hanuman chalisa: 40 lined couplet of Hanuman, used to praise him. It is very powerful