Robert's Return

Eddie met them at the Doctor’s entrance. His eyes widened as Robert approached, and he looked nervously towards Lana.

‘Is this really happening? Someone pinch me!’

Robert chuckled, amused at the very flustered Eddie. She’d never seen him lose his cool before and sighed heavily. She had wanted her friend to perform a makeover of sorts on Robert, before he faced the attendees for the luncheon, but this wouldn’t work if he was too star struck to use his scissors.

‘Eddie focus’ she hissed, as she fell into step with him. ‘I promise I will put in a good word with my neighbour for you if you just behave.’

He looked past her, checking out Swanson unashamedly.

‘Eddie! I swear to God!’

He snapped out of it, shrugging his shoulders. ‘Not every day you’re let loose on a Hollywood legend.’

Robert grinned from ear to ear, a twinkle in his eyes. ‘Now this guy, I like.’

She went to the ladies room to get dressed into the outfit Phoebe had lent her. Eyeing the beaded dress warily, she slipped it on, wishing she had brought tights. There was far too much leg on show for such a formal occasion, and she didn’t want Robert getting the wrong message about her. She ummed and ahhed about putting her suit back on, but it didn’t fit the event and she wanted to blend in rather than look like the odd one out. At least it was black and the neckline was decent enough not to expose her cleavage. With a spritz of perfume, and twisting her hair up high in a knot, she looked in the mirror and frowned. She hoped Robert was nearly finished, she didn’t want them to be late.

Swinging the door to the Men’s room open, she heard laughter, and as she stepped inside, she saw Robert washing up at the sink and Eddie singing into his hair brush.

‘Eddie what the hell.’ She chastised, pulling him to one side. ‘Is he even finished?’

‘Yes!’ Eddie said, pulling free of her grip and rubbing his arm. ‘I was just cerenading him. Remember? When Gwyneth Paltrow cerenaded him in A gift for Valentine?’