Chapter 7

I simply stopped fighting because there was nothing I could do anyway. My legs are probably inside the giant earthen’s mouth right now, I won’t know because I was not looking anymore. A part of me was hoping that Dad would simply arrive and save me, like always. But now, even the smaller earthens have already reached the top and some of them have started licking me. I was being raped. No, it was worse than rape. Maybe, even if I do make it out of this alive, I would still eventually feel the same. I would keep on fighting, but eventually I would just give up because there is just ultimately nothing I could do. I would end up like Cora and just manage on deluding myself by making speeches about how I simply changed my mind and decided that I didn’t want to follow my dreams anymore. Yup, what will happen to me in the academy will still probably be worse than rape.

Then, when everything just seemed so hopeless, I opened my eyes again and right beside my face, was a four-foot silver sword.

“What are you waiting for?” a female voice said. “Grab me and begin slashing those monsters’ perverted faces!”

I didn’t even bother why it spoke. I just grabbed it, cut off the disgusting thing wrapped around my feet, stabbed the giant earthen’s eyes and chopped off its giant head, then I stood up, pushed away the hideous creatures defiling my skin, slashed them as violently as I could that their blood sputtered all over my clothes. When I finished off all of them who made it to the top, I ignored the pain in my legs and even went down the slope to finish all of them off. I ran down the hill, slit their throats, cut off their limbs and the rest of them came running back to the woods whimpering in fear like beaten up dogs. I have never been more satisfied my entire life.

“My gods. . .” the sword said. “Violence runs in the family.”

“Shut up,” I said as coolly as I could.

I rested on a rock for a while before I climbed back to the top.

#

The moment I stepped into the concrete stage to which the gigantic sword statue was thrust into, everything around me dissolved. I flinched and then stumbled. When I opened my eyes again, I was sprawled on the Colosseum arena, with the rest of my fellow Freshies.

“Is she really the last one?!” A lady bellowed. I’ve never seen her this close before but Madame Celeste was beautiful beyond explanation, or maybe, at least when she was ten years younger. Her dark hair had streaks of gold and silver, and she was probably in her late 40’s based on the wrinkles on her forehead. Yet she still looked young even though she wore no make-up. The most striking thing about her, though, is that she held a huge silver spear with a violent-looking golden spearhead.

Everyone gathered around me and began asking if I was alright. I was about to yell ‘You don’t say’ to their faces but Cora also pushed her way through the crowd and helped me up.

“Are you okay? I’ll carry you to the infirmary,” she was crying, but I just hugged her. I also noticed that the talking sword was gone. I must have left it.

“That was the scariest thing that’s ever happened to me, and my legs hurt, but overall, I’m fine” I asserted. “And I sure didn’t expect the horde. Great job to whoever planned this game.”

“Nobody expected the horde, my dear,” the lady with the spear muttered. Her voice thundered all throughout the Colosseum and I began to wonder if she was really holding an invisible megaphone or something. “Everyone please stay in your respective camps. If things get worse, I am requesting the camp leaders to please lead your camps to the Zephyron bunkers. Understood?” Louise and several others nodded. The lady with the spear turned to me again. “You did a great job fending the earthens off, Miss Alexandra Hardin. I want you to report to my office as soon as possible. Preferably when you’ve fully recovered,” she said.