| 09 | Lollipop

Does anyone else have that old lollipop jingle in your head when you read this title?  No?  Just me then?

Chapter 08: Lollipop

Austin walked across the grass and joined me on the cobbled path down to the driveway. I'll admit, I enjoyed his presence next to me, even if it was accidental. He smelled like shower gel, had good energy and was, for some reason, carrying snorkels. 

His phone in the other hand, with a guy shouting on the line:

"I'm living with a nutcase. Coach made me come to this f*cking camp and now I'm stuck with a bunch of sugar addict nine-year-olds and a nutcase in a polka dot shirt. I swear she trips over everything that moves."

Austin replied, "Luke, you just need to chill out and enjoy your summer by the lake. How can a girl get you so riled up?"

"BECAUSE SHE RAN OVER MY LAPTOP!"

Austin lowered the volume on his phone and glanced apologetically at me.

"Is that your friend who just started summer camp?" I asked.

He nodded.

"Sounds like he's loving it," I laughed, hearing the yelling still coming out of his phone.

"Where you off to?" Austin asked, totally undisturbed by how he was just letting his friend talk to himself.

"Dinner with some friends," I pointed at the Ford bronco and Neha watching us from the driver seat.

Her arms were folded over the windowsill as she stared at us, lollipop in mouth. Noticing us looking back, she waved.

Austin nodded. He was in a yellow shirt, fully open as usual. He either hates clothes or likes to make girls stare.

Neha was definitely staring.

We passed by the fountain in silence, hearing the water splash onto the surface, while the voice on the phone continued to yell:

"Tell me how this will improve my game?!" 

"Where are you going with snorkels?" I asked Austin as we approached our cars.

"To a friend's house."

"With snorkels?"

Austin arrived at his car first, "He has a pool," he opened the door and threw his snorkels in, "Living in your home has its perks, Lara. I'm near all the rich kids."

I left him to speak with the angry guy on his phone. As I walked over to Neha, I couldn't help but overhear Austin interrupt his friend:

"Luke, I'll call you back. Chad's on the other phone... Chad, stop calling me ten times. I'm on my way to your place. Yes, I've got the snorkels. Can you relax? Between you and Luke, I'm stressed out today."

I opened the door to my friend's car and the smell of candy immediately hit me. She always had a stash in her car.

"Miss Lara, you've been hiding something from me," she announced, pulling a red lollipop out from between her lips, "Who was he?"

"Just my mom's best friend's son."

"If that doesn't sound like the plot of a hot romance then I don't know what does," her eyes followed his car as he pulled out of the driveway and overtook us, "Does he have any hot friends?"

He has some angry ones.

"Let's just go to dinner," I mumbled, looking down so it wasn't obvious we were talking about him.

"Sure, let's go. I knew you were hungry, but I had no idea you were this thirsty," she nudged me suggestively and cracked up at her own joke.

I gave her a look and took some sour candy from the open packet in the car's cup holder.

If Neha knew about Austin, now all my girl friends would, and I just know they like to get involved.

"Maybe we can all come over to yours to get changed for a night out," Neha mused, "Maybe you need more lingerie to replace your regular PJs.  Maybe that hot guy of yours-"

"He thinks of me like a little sister."

"Please Lara, since when do 'little sisters' look like you?  I bet he's trying hard not to totally lose control and fu-"

"I have a little sister in that house.  My parents are in that house and there may already be something going on between Harlow and Austin.  So your imagination of some playboy mansion, grotto vibe stays in your deviant little mind Neha."

She popped the lollipop out of her mouth, "I call sexual tension when I see it. He may look like a god, but he's only human."

A/N:  Austin's summer is about to become a lot more eventful... Lara has no idea what's in store. 

Please vote if you liked the chapter!!  And see ya next week!