Chapter Thirty-Seven

ISABELLA

ISABELLA

Asher left me at the bar about five minutes ago, during which I found myself fixated on the vast array of alcoholic beverages. Despite my awareness that I'm not particularly fond of drinking, especially in excess, I considered it as a potential means to temporarily ease the thoughts weighing on my mind.

My intention for tonight was to have a good time and relish the moment, setting aside any concerns from the real world. It was only when I left the ballroom that I'd address the realities of life, but for now, I could simply unwind and savor the remainder of the evening.

"May I join you?" I turned to see Maeve standing by my side, wearing a soft smile. Strangely, it seemed as if she knew the challenges of my reality, and I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable about it.

I had no desire for understanding or sympathy; all I wished for was everyone around me to act as though everything was fine and that there were no issues in my world, if only for a single evening.

I nodded and motioned toward the stool. "Certainly," I replied with a quick smile. She took a seat, beckoning the bartender over, who seemed to recognize her as he promptly brought two Strawberry Daiquiris.

She passed one of the daiquiris to me, and I took a small sip, relishing the fruity flavors. She removed the lime wedge from her glass, holding it up. "If you take a big sip and then bite into the lime, it's like tasting heaven, if that's even possible," she exclaimed with a hearty laugh, instantly lifting my spirits.

I had no specific reason to anticipate her disliking me or holding any grievances, but perhaps my caution stemmed from the fact that I had been involved with her married son, all while serving as his assistant-receptionist-attorney. Reflecting on it, I realized she might not even know me beyond being my mother's daughter.

I followed her advice, taking a long sip and then biting into the lime. The blend of sourness and sweetness, as she had described, was indeed a delightful surprise. It was amazing how accurate her description had been, even if it did sound a bit unusual.

"Mmm," I expressed my satisfaction with a contented sound as I swallowed the drink, offering her a genuine smile, quite different from the one I had moments ago. "Thank you for the drink," I added, pulling out a five-dollar bill from my small clutch and extending it towards her.

Shaking her head, she refused the money with a chuckle. "Oh, please," she insisted, "This is my event, after all, and you're my guest. It's on the house."

"What's your name?" she asked, taking another sip from her glass while giving me a curious sidelong glance, awaiting my response. "I'm Isabella," I introduced myself, extending my hand toward her, and she shook it in a non-formal manner, which was a refreshing change from the formality of the other guests.