CHAPTER 9

There was just one thing for Michael to do before going to the West Wing: check on the bird.

After pulling a jacket from his wardrobe, he turned around and looked across his room. The bird he thought would have risen before or in time with the sun was still asleep on top of his bedside table, where he had decided to place it, makeshift tunic nest and all. As quietly as possible, he walked over to it while putting his jacket on. When he reached the table, he picked up a loaf of bread his mother had an omega deliver to his chambers late last night, broke off a few tiny pieces and placed them in front of the sleeping bird.

Now, he could go.

When Michael opened his door, the last thing he expected to see was a girl about his age standing in front of his chambers, hand raised as if she were about to knock. She was a few inches shorter than him, with auburn hair that fell to her slim waist. Her long black dress a sharp contrast to her creamy pale skin.

She did not look familiar, but that was not surprising as it was impossible to know or remember every single omega who came and went inside of the castle. And the fact that this one was daring enough to lurk around so early in the morning made him wonder, for the first time, why Lukas was never around when he actually needed him.

She smiled when his eyes met her green ones, but all he did was clear his throat as he knew better than to smile back. If he did, it would have meant he was okay with her presence. That he was willing to acceptwhatever she was offering.

And he certainly was not.

At that point, every pack member knew he was betrothed, and knew to act accordingly. He might have admired her courage had he not had somewhere else to be and more important matters to attend to.

"Whatever you are offering, I am not interested."

Michael rushed past her to make his way down the corridor, but only made it a few steps when his Aunt Emilia rounded the corner and entered the corridor.

When their eyes met, she gave him a bright smile. "Good morning, my lovely nephew."

Before Michael could respond, her gaze and attention had already shifted to what—or, rather, who—was behind him.

"Ah, Danica, there you are." Once his aunt joined his side, she slid her arm through his and turned him so that he had no choice but to face the rejected omega once again. "I take it you two have met. Michael, you should know she was very excited to meet you. So much so, she refused to wait for you to come down for breakfast."

Confused, Michael looked at the omega then back at his aunt. Why was she so excited? "I am sorry, Aunt Emilia, but you know this girl?"

"Why, of course I know her." She looked away from him and at the girl. "Did you not tell him who you are?"

Michael looked at the girl just as she shook her head.

"Oh, Danica. I did not expect you to be this shy around him." His aunt slid her arm from his, and walked the few feet over to where the girl stood. "You have been waiting for this very moment since your arrival. I guess I shall make the introductions then." She looked at him. "Michael, this is Danica, daughter of Marek, the Alpha of the South, and your soon to be mate."

Michael shifted his gaze from his aunt to the girl.

The girl he had just mistaken for an omega trying to get bedded by him was the Alpha's daughter he had been promised to? When the hell had she arrived, and why had he not been told of her arrival?

Michael balled his fists. He was positive this was his father's doing.

When he was asked his thoughts about moving up the mating process the day prior, his father must have already had his mind made up. The fact that his soon-to-be-mate was already here was proof that it had already been a done deal. Michael's only real choice in the matter was to accept it.