Antiques Sideshow

Today, Alice was feeling great.

Having totally recovered from her mana depletion, she had more energy than ever and was full of motivation. Quite frankly, she was pumped.

It was... not a mood that she often felt, and she was determined to put it to good use.

Thus, Alice once again found herself outside of the Forest of Magic, her destination looming on the horizon.

A trip to the Scarlet Devil Mansion, outside of a work capacity, was long overdue.

She should have visited Patchouli weeks ago. She had planned to visit Patchouli weeks ago.

Of course, that was before the days and nights she'd spent drafting out schematics, seeking to determine the true state of Shanghai's autonomy. And... of course, before she'd ended up in Eientei.

...There was much to discuss.

...

It was the perfect time of day to be outdoors. The morning sun had yet to reach a high angle, and, as she flew, a light breeze blew cool against both her skin and the fabric of her slightly lighter 'summer outfit.'

All of that, plus the fact that the path to the SDM rounded the edge of the eternally cool Misty Lake, led to an overall agreeable temperature.

It was a simple pleasure, but a pleasure nonetheless.

...

A bit of movement in the distance caught her eye.

From the Scarlet Devil Mansion, a speck appeared. Hovering above the ground, it moved rapidly in Alice's general direction.

Tensing slightly, Alice braced herself for the possibility of a fight, dolls assembling into formation.

As the speck approached, it rapidly grew recognizable, clothed in a familiar black and white.

It yelled in greeting.

"Oh! Howdy, Alice!" With all too much speed, Marisa zipped along the path before stopping just a few feet away. "I was just paying good ol' Patchy a quick visit, you know how it is, ze."

Alice relaxed her battle posture and looked pointedly at the sack that was slung over Marisa's shoulder. Yes, she knew exactly how it was.

"Please, do tell how the plundering of books factors into 'just visiting.'"

The blonde witch snorted. "Heh, I'm gearin' up for another project. It ain't my fault that she's got all the good stuff, ze!"

Alice sighed. "We really ought to do something about those sticky fingers of yours..."

Marisa gasped in mock horror. "And take away my most recognizable trait? No thanks!"

The dollmaker closed her eyes as if she had fallen into deep thought. "Mmm, perhaps a strong adhesive would do the trick..."

"Aaannnnndd that's my cue to leave!" Marisa began to gain altitude. "Don't get me wrong, I'd love to stay and chat, but I've got loot to sort. See ya!"

And just like that, she jetted off into the morning sun, leaving Alice in peace once more.

How she had the gall to steal so casually, Alice couldn't fathom.

She just hoped that they wouldn't be on high alert over Marisa's little stunt.

...

Patchouli Knowledge was the epitome of a true youkai magician.

She very rarely slept, hardly ate or drank, and spent nigh uncountable hours engrossed in her pursuit of arcane mastery.

Known as the Unmoving Great Library, her mind devoured and committed to memory the contents of books at a startling rate. Fortunately, she had a nearly inexhaustible supply at her disposal, as well as a devoted assistant to curate such a collection.