Chapter 23

Judy found Nick sitting in a lawn chair under a dark, lonely bridge.

"Night howlers aren't wolves. They're toxic flowers. I think someone is targeting predators on purpose and making them go savage."

"Wow," said Nick. "Isn't that interesting." He got up and walked off, but Judy followed.

"Wait, listen! I know you'll never forgive me. And I don't blame you. I wouldn't forgive me, either. I was ignorant and irresponsible and small-minded. But predators shouldn't suffer because of my mistakes. I have to fix this, but I can't do it without you."

Nick sighed but still refused to look at her.

"And after we're done, you can hate me, and that'll be fine, because I was a horrible friend and I hurt you.... And you can walk away knowing you were right all along, I really am just a dumb bunny."

Nick didn't respond. It was awkwardly quiet until, suddenly, Judy's voice played back on a recorder. "I really am just a dumb bunny. I really am just a dumb bunny."

Nick emerged from the shadows, holding up her carrot pen. "Cheer up, Carrots. I'll let you erase it... in forty-eight hours."

Judy's eyes welled up with tears. Nick shook his head. "All right, get in here."

She put her arms around Nick and hugged him tightly.

"You bunnies are so emotional," said Nick. "Are you just trying to steal the pen? Is that what this is? You are standing on my tail, though. Off, off, off."

Nick and Judy climbed into the pickup truck.

"Oh! I thought you guys only grew carrots!" said Nick, grabbing a basket of blueberries and popping a few into his mouth. "What's the plan?"

"We're gonna follow the night howlers. Know this guy?" Judy asked, holding up a picture of Duke Weaselton, the crook Judy had busted in Little Rodentia for stealing flower bulbs.

"I know everybody," said Nick.