Cody Nickolson: Goldfish.

An Ankh Pendant.

Chapter one: Cody Nickolson: Goldfish.

A tanned finger reached out, tapping lightly at the glass. The sun's rays flowed lightly through the window, causing the bright orange scales of the Goldfish to shimmer in the light. The bad thing was, the poor fish was floating belly up on the surface of the water.

Cody Nicholson let out a sigh, withdrawing his hand, letting it fall to his side.

It's dead? Another one? He paused,it was all very odd. He bit his lip, quickly reaching into the tank and scooping up the fish, he briskly walked over to the bathroom, placing the dead fish gently into the toilet bowl. He paused, his hand on the knob to flush the toilet.

May your journey to the afterlife be pleasant, little fish. He thought, flushing the toilet finally. He ran his hands under some cold water, washing them with soap before walking down for some breakfast.

Cody sat down at the table, a glass of juice in front of him. His mother was already working quickly around in the kitchen, she looked up from her frying pan to give him a warm smile.

“ Good morning, sweetheart.” She greeted, moving something around on the hot pan.

Cody took a sip from the juice, placing it back down on the the table. “ My fish died last night.” He stated, looking back up at her.

She paused in her cooking, a concerned look on her face. “ Again?” She asked, “ that's the third one this month.”

“ I know.” Cody muttered, standing from the table. “ I better get going.”

“ You haven't eaten anything yet.” His mother said, “ you should try and eat something.”

“ I'll pick something up.” Cody insisted, picking up his backpack and heading towards the door. There was an odd feeling in the air, he could feel it. He shook his head, a frown on his face. He always felt this way after one of his fishes died.

Just a fish. He thought, pulling the strap on his pack tighter and started to walk to his school.

“ Uh,” Kelly muttered, her black hair falling in front of her face as she placed her head down on the table, “ another test? Are these teacher's trying to kill us?”

Mathew didn't look up from his text book, a pair of thin wire rimmed glasses resting on his nose, “ if you studied more, you wouldn't be having a problem.” He flipped a page, “ and having a vast amount of knowledge doesn't hurt anybody.”

“ You are such a geek.” Kelly said, smirking. Mathew only looked up at her to give her a quick glare before returning to his studies.

Kelly sighed, looking over to her left. “ You're unusually quiet, Cody. Is something wrong?”

“ No.” He said, leaning back in the chair he was sitting in, “ just an odd feeling.”

“ Hm.” Kelly leered at him out of the corner of her eye, it was the same every morning. Kelly, Mathew, and Cody would sit in the library, Kelly and Cody would chat about the night before while Mathew would sit and read, or, on the rare occasions that he would contribute to the conversation, it would be to correct one of them on something or other.