Chapter Eighteen - Closer

"We're here."

Ochako swatted at the hand that tapped her on the shoulder as she sat up from her reclined seat. "That didn't feel like long."

"That's cause you slept through the drive." Toga replied. "It's..." She gestured grandly to the towering building. "The mall!"

Ochako rubbed the sleep from her eyes, and looked around. They were in one of the many parking spaces out in front of what might've been the most popular mall in Japan. Except no one was there. "Isn't it closed today?"

"Yeah, so we get to skip all the lines and hassle." Toga grinned at her before getting out the car. The hero rolled her eyes and got out too. They began the short walk to the building, but not without Ochako checking over her shoulder at least twelve times before they made it in.

"Stop worrying so much. This kinda stuff isn't dangerous. Worse case scenario we get B&E. And it's not hard to get outta jail." Toga patted her on the shoulder. They stood in front of the side entrance, a small metal door for employees. With a lock pick and half a minute, Toga had opened the dull gray door. "Let's go."

"I've been here once, while it was super packed, but I've never seen it empty." Ochako looked around in awe. An empty building was usually creepy, but with the 3 o'clock sun still high and beaming through the skylight, this one seemed like an abandoned wonderland.

"Oh look at this!" Toga had entered a store on the first floor, a clothing one, and held up a T-shirt. On it was the same design as U.A's uniform, just a tad off center. "You think I'd make a good hero?" The blonde asked with a grin.

"You'd be great." Ochako gave a thumbs-up.

She heard Toga mutter something close to: "Oh no, he's already having an effect on you.."

"I do need some new clothes. I hardly had any to begin with." Ochako started looking through the racks of shirts beside Toga.

"What about.. this one!" Toga held up a solid dark red shirt. "It's a pretty color."

"Eh."

"No one would be able to tell if there was blood on it."

"Is that your selling point?"

"Yeah!"

Ochako chuckled as she pulled out a new shirt. "I like this one." It was light pink, and on the shorter side. In the middle was a cat face, though it seemed to be made of a cookie, with half strawberry and half vanilla ice cream on the inside.

"You'd look cute in that." Toga said, before pausing to correct herself. "Not that you don't look cute all the time, but that's a nice shirt." Her cheeks were tinted pink, though Ochako's were darker.

"Thanks." She said softly.

"Did you wanna stick around here, or go see what else we can find?" Toga asked after a few minutes of silence. Ochako had spent the time picking out different shirts and pants, even a new pair of shoes, practically an armful of clothes.

"I wanna keep walking around." The hero said. Looking around for something to use to carry her clothes, she noticed the baskets beside the door and dropped the clothes into it. It was a rectangular white basket with handles, small and light. Toga waited by the door for Ochako to finish organizing her basket before picking it up and heading over.

- - - - -

"Where did you wanna go now?" Toga asked as they finished searching the bottom floor. Ochako thought about it as they made their way to the escalator, though the fact that the mall wasn't open meant they had to walk up it.