Chapter 6 : New Beginnings

With the winter season settling in, the water in the fountain has frozen over. The clear icy layer on top shines brightly underneath the noontime sun, and your reflection stares back at you like a mirror. There's something so serene about the water in its frozen state - trapped in a moment of time just as you wish you could capture this moment forever.

"I fear you've grown even more beautiful in this life, Princess," Sunoo whispers softly meeting your gaze in the reflection of the fountain. When you turn to look up at him, he reaches a hand up to softly caress your cheek. You shudder at the sensation, unsure whether the prince is cool to the touch due to the weather or if naturally holds this chilling and commanding effect.

"Why do you speak as if it's a bad thing?" you ask, biting back the smile that threatens to pull against your lips whenever any of the princes compliment you.

"Because I fear for you, petal. It'll be much harder for the others and me to hold back now." There's a certain darkness, elegant and dangerous, swirling enchantingly in his irises and drawing you further into him.

"What are you holding back?" you press, voice dropping down into a whisper to match his tone while simultaneously learning further into the prince's touch. Sunoo can't discern whether your question is genuinely innocent or if you're teasing him. Instead, he opts to leave you chasing for more.

"You'll find out with due time," he smirks, leaning down to plant a kiss on your forehead. There's a growing temptation to tilt your head up, to capture his lips with your own. But the sound of faint footsteps crunching distantly in the snow pulls you away from the prince. Instead, you turn your head to look behind, finding a tall figure approaching you and Sunoo with his head hung low.

"You're finally up," Sunoo smiles brightly at the older prince. Perhaps it's because you have yet to see the princes interact with each other much, but it's like a breath of fresh air when you take note of how Sunoo had visibly brightened the moment he saw the older prince, clearly excited to see him. And as the tall male walks up, the stark differences between the two princes are prominent. The younger prince greets him with a pleasant expression as the older prince maintains his stoic facade. But even as the two interact through subtle shared glances, there's no denying that they aren't the epitome of "opposites attract."

"I've been up for a while," Sunghoon responds, finally stopping in front of the younger prince, still standing a respectable distance away from you. He casts you a glance before looking away quickly when you meet his gaze. "I just had to take care of a few things." Sunoo quirks an eyebrow in a questioning manner, but Sunghoon only shakes his head. A silent message he'll tell him more later. "May I speak with the princess alone?"

"I just got a moment alone with her," the younger prince frowns. There's something in his tone that is softer, a bit more playful, whiny almost. It's then that you realize Sunoo is able to express a side of himself with Sunghoon that he does not necessarily express toward you or the younger princes. Judging by the way the older prince instantly leans toward the younger prince attentively, you know they balance each other out perfectly. Your attention is captured by Sunoo's swift motions, taking one of Sunghoon's hands into both of his own. Your eyes follow his movements as he plays with the older prince's long slender fingers mindlessly. "Can't this wait?" he asks, batting his eyelashes up at Sunghoon. You can tell Sunoo's calculating antics are affecting the taller prince, but you can't blame him. You know you'd also be putty in the luring prince's hands within an instant. It's subtle but Sunghoon's Adam's apple bobs as he swallows thickly.

"I'm afraid this can't wait, Sunoo-ah," Sunghoon finally tears his gaze away from the younger, hoping that by avoiding his stare, he'll build up the will to stand his ground even when all he wants to do is allow the younger to have his way. "Plus, you've already been out here with the princess for a few hours now. You forget that I can see the garden from my room."