IV. Sore wrists

Three days.

It had been three full fucking days since I was brought here. I know my life story is somewhat complicated, but does checking my full background take this long?

"Please," I mumble. "I don't even know what time it is anymore. You are fucking up my sleep schedule.."

"That's your concern right now?" Soap says. "You're not used to this, are you?"

"No, I'm not," I mumble. "I used to be a colonel. What do you expect?"

"A colonel now? How old are you again?" Soap chuckles, leaning back against the wall with his arms crossed in front of his chest to make it clear that he doesn't believe me.

"Twenty-six.." I say. "I know. Not possible, yet it is. Because I was born into that team. And seriously? You still haven't figured that out? I thought you looked at my files already."

"Shut up. Price is just getting everything together.." Soap mumbles before letting his hands drop to his sides again. "Besides, that badge on your shoulder says something different."

My gaze drops back down to my shoulder, knowing he's right. "I got demoted when Canmoore took over. Like I told you, I didn't exactly agree with his way of work. He couldn't handle someone talking back."

"Oh, I bet..." He chuckles. "I somehow fully understand him with that."

As I roll my eyes at him, the door to the interrogation room creaks open, and the atmosphere immediately changes. The room seems to hold its breath as a tall figure enters, his presence commanding the attention of everyone present.

Captain Price steps in, his gaze sharp and calculating as he takes in the scene.

Soap's smile fades, and he straightens up slightly, his body language shifting from casual to alert. I can tell that Price's arrival holds a weight that goes beyond his rank.

"Well," Price says, his voice carrying a gravitas that demands respect. "Seems like we've got ourselves quite the situation here."

Soap nods in agreement, his expressions serious. It's clear that Price's opinion matters deeply to him.

Price's gaze lands on me, his eyes narrowing as he studies me. "My team has reviewed the information you've provided, everything you've said about the chips, your leader's plans, and your involvement.."

I meet his gaze, holding it steadily as I'm not very worried. "And?" I ask, brows raised.

A tense silence hangs in the air as Price's lips press into a thin line. "It seems," he finally speaks, "that you have spoken the truth."

I exhale softly, satisfaction coursing through me. I had expected them to double-check my words, but having Price himself confirm it holds a different weight altogether.

"See.." A smile pulls at the corner of my mouth.

Price's expression remains stern, his voice cold and unwavering. "However, that doesn't mean I trust you."

I raise an eyebrow, not surprised by his lack of trust. "Wouldn't expect you to."

Price steps closer, his presence almost suffocating. "We've dealt with betrayal before. I won't let my guard down that easily."

I lean back in my chair, my arms still tied together as a smile curves up on my lips. "Wouldn't be any fun if you did," I say, my head tilting slightly.

Price's eyes narrow, his suspicion clear. "You claim to want to work together.. Why should I believe you?"

I meet his gaze head-on, my tone serious. "Because I want Canmoore out of the picture just as much as you do. You've looked into my background yourself. You've seen the way things have changed since the fucker took over.. Even for me."