Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Dedication given for awesome comments!

Take a listen to the music on the side, these songs are usually what helps me write (: 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sunlight kisses the clouds that color orange above the campus. The rays dance on my skin, warming my whole body. Unwinding on a bench next to Damon felt timeless. Although it’s only been two days, I feel like I haven’t seen him in such a long time, especially with such negative energy building up this past week… but sitting together like this is something I wouldn’t trade as we kick back our heads in laughter.

“Professor Lismore said that?” Damon asks with a face full of surprise from me recalling what happened Monday afternoon. “That’s why you didn’t show up to class yesterday? What class are you taking now?”

I look away shyly, embarrassed about telling Damon the whole story. I didn’t tell him right away because I wasn’t sure exactly how he would react or if he would care. Recently Damon’s been buried into school activities; taking philosophy class was a secret way for me to see him mandatorily every two days of the week, but now…

“A different professor emailed me his class syllabus and I’ll be going to his class next week,” I reply with my eyes looking down towards my brown leather ankle high boots. Unsure of his expression, I continue to look down and study the fringe of my light-wash denim shorts.

The feeling of uncertainty trickled away when Damon put one arm around me, bringing me close to his burly chest. “Even though you were a distraction, I did like having you in class with me,” he laughs playfully to reveal his impish smirk.

My cheeks grow warm from his laughter, but I couldn’t admit my real reason for taking the same class with him. Continuing to looking away, I dip my head down to hide my eyes under my straight cut bangs as I recall Damon’s cold moments that he’s shared with me. At the beginning of our relationship, it was full of wonderful days like this: laughter, tenderness, and love.

With my head down, I listen faintly to his heart that beats steadily in comparison to mine. I close my eyes and focus on my heart’s rhythm, in hopes to decrease its rapid pace, although I couldn’t make my mind go blank. Insecurities in our relationship afloat in my mind, but I reject all of them. There was no way that I could be that bad of a girlfriend… consciously I suppress the ideas and push them back under the water like I have done many times before.

His thick tan fingers caress my cheek, pulling me up to meet his gaze. “How have you been sleeping? Are you still having nightmares?” His eyes shift between the two of mine, trying to analyze each bit of me.

Staring back, eyes wide, suppressing the insecurities was easy when I think of my mysterious dreams. “They aren’t nightmares,” I say as I look away to admire the sunlight that seeps through the branches above us. “Those dreams are important to me, oddly as it sounds, but I’m curious to understand… I just don’t know where to look.”

“Damon Weller, what a surprise to see you here.” Orange hair blocks the ray of light that I stared at in awe, causing me to give a sour look as I analyze who is blocking my view. Carling doesn’t make eye contact with me; her attention is directed towards Damon. “I didn’t peg you for a scenic-kind of guy,” Carling gives him an attractive wink and smile.

Instantly, fire ignites inside of me, burning through my eyes as I watch Damon’s face. His lip quivers as he hides his smile, “You don’t know me that well it seems.” His eyes look to her quickly before going down towards the flowers that surround the area. With my burning eyes, I secretly try to send Damon psychic messages to let him know that I don’t approve of what’s going on at all, especially what Carling continues to say.