The hood

Fairytale world

she

As I walked down the long path to the big estate, I found myself whistling. It’s a nice day, and I’m going to bring good news. Once by the high fence I found the hole in the bushes I always use. Once through, I end up in the great garden. I walk down the path next to the big trees, so I won’t be noticed. I walk around the big house to the ladder that is waiting there. I climb up in it until I reach the window. I tick three times on it in a certain rhythm. Someone walks over to the window to open it. I smile when I see his face, he smiles back. ‘Good morning!’ he says cheerfully. ‘Morning! I have wonderful news: there is a fair in town. They have people from far countries, all sort of games and a wonderful puppet show! Are you coming?’ His face first lightens up, and then drops. ‘My father won’t be happy if he notices,’ he says sadly. I roll my eyes. ‘Yes, IF he notices. Come on, it’s so much fun. And I won’t enjoy it so much without you,’ I say to play in on his feelings. I know he likes me, the same way I like him. He starts to blush as he drops his eyes. ‘Alright then.’ We climb down the ladder and sneak out of the garden through the hole. We walk the long way to the village. Once there the square is filled with people, music and laughter. There is a stage build for the shows, and different cars hold rare objects to buy. ‘Come on, we should see the puppet show!’ I pull on his arm as he follows me. Slowly he starts to relax. We watch the show and laugh a lot. Then it ends. ‘Well that was fun! Thank you for taking me,’ he says shyly. I smile. ‘No matter. You just shouldn’t let your father lead you like that.’ He sights. ‘I wish it was that simple. You know how powerful he is.’ My eyes widen. ‘You mean…he uses his magic on…you?’ He nods sadly. I now understand his fear of his father. It’s a cruel man. I put a hand on his shoulder. ‘You know, you never have to become like him. You are different. I know you will never hurt people the way he does.’ He turns around to face me. ‘O I never want to become like him! I promise you that will never happen!’ I smile and walk forward. ‘Well, let’s have some fun then.’ He lightens up and follows me. We walk over the market all day. We make a lot of fun. Then certainly the road clears of people as horses arrive. The remarkable black with white horses hold people we rather not cross. ‘Duck! Let them not find us!’ is my first reaction. Even before he notices what’s going on he follows my lead. But as the horses stop right next to us the people around us disappear. We stand up slowly as we turn around to face the rider. ‘What are you doing here, without my permission?’ His voice is dark and terrifying. ‘Sorry father. I…I wanted to check out the fair.’ I can hear his voice tremble. His father sniffs loudly. ‘And that was all your idea?’ He changes his stare to me. I feel my cheeks fill with warmth. ‘I…I’m sorry sir. It was my idea, he didn’t do anything. Please, don’t hurt him,’ I manage to get out with an unsure voice. He spits at the ground right in front of me. ‘I knew it.’ He turns his head to his son. ‘You, come back home. Now.’ I look at him and see his eyes water. ‘Yes father.’ He gives me a short glance as he walks next to the horse back home. ‘I’m sorry,’ I whisper softly. No idea if he heard it.

he

‘I am done with this! You call shame on yourself, me and the total family! You are disobedient and useless!’ he says with a terrifying tone. I know I can better keep quiet as he rages on me. All I can think about is the feeling I gave Alisha when we walked away. I will never blame her. I don’t want my father’s fury on her. I think the feeling I have for her is more than friendship. I shake my head out of the thoughts before he notices I don’t listen. ‘…And you are only eight, how are you ever going to find the right path!’ I roll my eyes in my mind. The RIGHT path? The right path to hell, being hated and evilness you mean! ‘And it might be clear where these wrong thoughts come from,’ he says softer, but wait more intimidating. My heart skips a beat. ‘Father…’ I try. But he simply hold up his hand. ‘No, I’m talking. That girl that is always with you in trouble, that Alisha, she has bad influence on you. That has to stop!’ I feel petrified. Then I throw myself on the floor for his feet. ‘No father! Don’t hurt her, please! Let her alone, then I promise to always listen!’ He is quiet for a little while, what is very odd. ‘Is she that important to you? My son, you can get so much better. With a little luck I can give you a princess.’ I start to cry. ‘I don ‘t want anyone else! I…love her!’ His eyes widen. ‘Then it is decided. You can never see her again,’ he says calm. Then he turns around to leave. ‘No father!’ He turns around with all fury as he sticks out his hand. I can’t move, and I nearly can’t breathe. I am stuck in his powers. ‘If I ever see you two together, I will kill her!’ With that he releases me and angrily walks out of the room. I lay there on the floor, crying.