66. It's a Terrible Life

INT. BEDROOM

An alarm flipped from 5:59 to 6:00 and started beeping. A hand shut it off.

KITCHEN

A coffee cup was filled at an espresso machine.

The cup was held by Dean, who was in a business suit, with his hair slicked down. Madelyn walked into the room, combing her hair.

STREET

Dean and Madelyn crossed the street to a silver Toyota Prius.

PRIUS

Dean started the car.

Rock music blared and he looked at it, confused, and changed the station.

"NPR Morning Edition. It's for this waste and-"

Dean drove off and eventually came to a skyscraper.

LOBBY

Dean and Madelyn exited the elevator and crossed the lobby. There was a Sandover Bridge and Iron history display along one wall.

Dean entered an office labeled Dean Smith - Director, Sales & Marketing.

Madelyn entered an office labeled Madelyn Smith - Lead Design Manager.

DEAN'S OFFICE

Dean typed at a computer.

Dean laughed into a phone headset. "All I wanna know is when are they gonna have another show like Project Runway?"

At lunch, he flipped his tie and ate a salad.

Madelyn was eating a sandwich, looking at potential baby names. She wasn't expecting, but she always like to be prepared. After lunch, Dean stood and spoke into his headset. "Net profitability aside, it's the client-retention rate that concerns me vis-à-vis maximizing return on sales. Buzz me back in once you've seen the spreadsheets."

As Madelyn was about to leave, someone else entered the office.

"Mr. Adler," Dean and Madelyn greeted.

"Dean. Madelyn," Mr. Adler said. slapping Dean on the shoulder. "Good stuff."

"Good stuff?" Dean asked.

"Big things. Good stuff. Your wife any trouble?"

"Good stuff. She's never any trouble."

NIGHT

Dean was sitting at his desk playing with something and speaking into the headset. "Oh I hear you. No, I haven't been to the gym in ages. Carrying a little bloat around myself. It's a sedentary lifestyle, my man, no two ways. All right, tell me one more time. You said lemon and - what was it? Cayenne and maple syrup, are you serious? How much did you lose?"

Dean put some files in a case and left the office.  Madelyn had left early to meet Noah and Daisy for dinner.

OFFICE LOBBY

Dean was checking his phone. The elevator dinged. He entered, focused on the phone. He looked at the other occupants of the elevator who were staring at him. It was Sam and Reagan, who were both wearing a short-sleeved yellow shirt that said 'Sandover Bridge & Iron Inc. Tech Support'.

"Do I know you?" Sam and Reagan asked.

"I don't think so," Dean replied.

Sam looked at him. "I'm sorry, man, you just look really familiar."

"Save it for the health club, pal."

The elevator dinged again and Dean got out. Sam and Reagan stared after him.