6: When One Door Closes

If any good came of Flora bursting into tears whenever she saw her sister, it is the freedom it gave Darlin to leave home as much as she pleases without attracting suspicion.

Dear Flora is yet to forgive Darlin. No matter how often she makes clear her desire to avoid conflict, Darlin fails to apologize for her callous words.

Flora's mood has been low. As a result, Isabelle and Howard have advised Darlin to stay out of her way for the time being.

It's not often they say something pleasing to Darlin's ears. As she entered the cafe, Darlin recalled her rebirths and quipped, Stranger things have happened, I suppose.

A quick exchange with the restaurant's hostess has Darlin being led to a table for two on the restaurant's second floor.

"Lady Darlin, thank you for accepting my invite on such short notice." Her lunch date was a woman reminiscent of a lily, elegant and gentle in everything she does.

"How could I not? I have been awaiting your reply, Lady Ingrid. She sat across Ingrid, requesting, "Do forgive me for not removing my hat."

"It is no bother. I understand things must be difficult for you at the moment."

"I appreciate the consideration."

After that, silence persisted as they waited for the other to show their hand first.

Ingrid reached for her tea and realized her fingers were twitching. With a stolen glance at Darlin, she thought, What a dangerous woman.

Darlin partook of her tea and cake as if Ingrid were not there. Certainly not dismissive of her, but content with the silence— heavy it may be.

Her red eyes carry a strange intensity, a trace of something sadistic in the gentle quirk of her lips.

Impatient, and knowing the source of this feeling is likely aware of it, Ingrid finally said, "His Highness, Prince Lionel, has recently sent me flowers."

"The Second Prince has good tastes."

Ingrid involuntarily smiles. "...I thought you would be more like Her Grace and tell me to be honored by his attention."

"Her Grace is not without her charm, yet, I cannot reflect all her qualities."

So, you're saying you don't agree with her? Ingrid was not sure how much she could trust Darlin's words.

From her aunty and uncle's reactions, Ingrid was certain she is the only one caught unawares by Prince Lionel's courting.

It is a matter regarding her future, yet no one mentioned a thing to her. Had she not run into Darlin the other day, Ingrid would have been totally blindsided.

"I just mean it is strange how Lady Ingrid has never had a fiancé up until now. ...Could it be..."

"Could what be?" Ingrid had urged, expecting to be insulted. It would be no surprise, seeing how much Heinrich has put Darlin through all these years, only to rip the position of future Duchess from her hands.

"I just suddenly thought how Prince Lionel is also without a fiancée."

Ingrid's grey eyes widened for a short moment. Could Her Grace possibly...!

Ingrid always knew her marriage would be nothing all too favorable to her.

While receiving praises for raising Ingrid as her own daughter, Felicity tacitly limited Ingrid in all she did. To "become a proper lady" is the only benchmark of her life.