Chapter 12: You what?!

I pick up my phone just as it goes off, hoping for a message from James. I look at the screen and smile. I was right. I hurriedly unlock the screen so that I can read it.

James: Hi

Me: Hi!

James: Hru

Me: I'm good, hru?

James: Good

I smile, then more messages appear. I read them as fast as I can and start typing, but then I have to erase them all again.

James: I mean, that's good that you're doing good. I'm good too

James: I mean, I'm not good, I'm just doing alright.

James: Just fine. I'm doing just fine. How are you?

I sigh and text back before he spams me again.

Me: We've already been over this. I'm GOOD.

James: Oh.

Me: Are you okay?

James: Yeah! Yes, I'm perfectly fine. Why wouldn't I be fine?

Me: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I nearly go cross eyed with frustration. What has him so flustered? I roll my eyes and text him again.

Me: What's on your mind?

James: You 😉

Getting deja vu? Yeah, me too.

James: I have something to tell you and it's that I love you.

I stare at the message for what seems like an eternity, stunned. I feel the heat rushing to my face, and I know it's definitely going to take a while to cool down. I go and take a hot shower to take the heat out of my face and give myself an excuse to not respond right away.

When I get out of the shower, I turn my phone on and text him back.

Me: Sorry I was in the shower when you texted 🚿 . I love you too.

I stare at, no proofread, the message before sending it, my heart racing. I put my phone down on my bed and start to walk away, but it pings again. I pick it back up.

James: I can't wait to see you tonight.

It's Tuesday, so I have class later. I wish it were a date though. I text back quickly.

Me: Yeah! See you later! :)

He arrives at class thirty minutes early, instead of five. I'm hiding behind the counter (No, talking with friends) when he walks in, and it takes me a minute to gather my nerves enough to walk over to him.

As I get closer, he smiles like he just won the lottery or something. I know that it's because of the conversation earlier, but still.

"Hi." I say, feeling awkward.

His smile broadens more than I thought was possible, and he pulls me into a hug.

"Hi."

We pull apart, and I try to calm my racing heart and stop my brain fog from becoming an issue. It never works though.

He starts talking again, saving me from awkward silence.

"Do you really love me, or are you just saying that?"

"James, I don't say things I don't mean. If I say I love you, it's because I do." I say, hoping I sound more confident than I am.

Just as his smile returns, one of the older men in my class walks past us. He stops to talk to me. "Are you going to get ready for class?"

I nod. "In a minute," I turn to James, who's looking at me quizzically. "It only takes me about five minutes to get ready for class."

"Oh. That makes sense."

I glance at my watch. "Oh, I should go get ready now though."

I turn slightly to walk away, and he makes a shooing motion with his hands. "Go on."

I make a face that says "rude" and hurry back to my bag to grab my gi. I put my gi pants on, grab my belt and jacket, and head to the mat to stretch.

We spend the whole class attempting not to stare at one another, and laughing when we fail. When I roll with him, he lets me win every round. I still convince myself that I'm better than him though.