Chapter One

Veda's POV
My name is Veda. I'm 14 years old and in foster care. My parents died in a car accident when I was 8 years old. I had no family that would take care of me. So I was put into foster care and was put in and taken out of foster homes due to a lot of abuse. I haven't been able to open up to anyone. Until one day...I was put into another foster home that ended up being my idol's home. Amy Lee's home. Yes Amy Lee from Evanescence. She made me the person that I am today. How did i become that person? Well let me tell you the story. Starting from the beginning...

July 20, 2022
Veda's POV
Another day another foster home...
When will I ever have luck in finding a home that's permanent? When will someone love me? I honestly hate my life. My case worker is driving me to my new "placement." I hate the word "placement." He won't tell me who this is for some reason. Normally she does. But I'm too lost into my music to care. I'm blasting my favorite band into my airpods in my ears. Evanescence. Amy Lee is so heartwarming, angelic and beautiful. Her voice is so soothing and angelic that it also helps me fall asleep at night when I need it. I dream every night of her adopting me. But that could never happen. Right?
My case worker pulled up to a house that basically looked like a mansion and I was in shock that my next placement was here. I got out of the car with my backpack that carried my clothes, necessities and my ipad. We both walked up to the door and I guess I must've been nervous because I felt a squeeze on my hand and I looked down and I was holding my case worker's hand. He looked down at me and smiled which made me smile a bit. He rang the door bell and someone answered the door. It was a tall man. I recognize him but I can't seem to put my finger on-
"Hi! Name is Josh! You must be Andy the case worker that my wife and I spoke to this morning?" He asked as he gave me quick eye contact with a smile. I gave him a small smile back but nothing too much.
"Yes that's right! So glad you guys can take Veda in! She's gonna go ballistic once she finds out." My case worker smiled at me and winked.
Why did he wink at me?
"Hey Veda! Nice to meet you, kid!" He put his fist out towards me. I flinched at first but I fist pumped his eventually.
"Come in guys come in! We can talk in the living room. My wife is at the recording studio so she'll be back later on tonight to meet Veda. She's been talking about her all morning and texting me all day! She's super excited for this!" Josh said as well sat down. I place my back pack on the floor next to my feet. I kinda get comfortable a bit but not too comfortable because every time I do that, my foster family gives up on me. Gotta love trust issues!!!
"So Veda what do you like to do for fun? My wife and I have a HUGE pool out back, huge trampoline, trampoline was my idea, and we have a game room downstairs as well. Hope I'm not overwhelming you.." Josh said to me.
"No you're not. Everything sounds awesome! I love to sketch on my iPad on this app called ProCreate, i listen to music all the time, i love gaming and the outdoors too!" I grinned a bit. My eyes must've lit up cause he was smiling at me and so was my case worker.
"Oh i heard of that app! Maybe you can show me some of your work sometime. Which actually reminds me.." Josh grabs a gift bag from behind the couch and hands it to me. I opened up the card that had my name beautifully written on it. Must be his wife's handwriting..I hope she's nice..and not like my previous foster mother who would constantly..
focus Veda focus..
Inside the card was a message from Josh and his wife that read
"Dear Veda,
Welcome to our home, kiddo! I hope you enjoy your time here and hopefully it'll become permanent so you don't have to keep on being placed everywhere like a seasonal decoration. Please don't be shy and ask any one of us if you need anything!
We love you.
-The Hartzlers"
I smiled a bit and put the card down on the table. I pulled out something wrapped and began to open it. It was a sketchbook with art pencils and colored pencils.
"Do you like it? Andy kinda told us already what you were interested in and he mention highly on the art side."
"I love it. Thank you so much! I wish she was here so I can say thank you to her as well." I replied
"She wishes she was here but she had to finish up a re-record of a song for a new album that she's working on. Hopefully she won't be back too late." Josh replied.
"Well I guess I'll leave you guys to get to know each other a bit more. I must get going. You both have my number if there's anything that happens." Andy talked with Josh as they walked towards the door. I hug Andy and say goodbye.
"I'm sure we'll be fine. I'll let you know when she has met my wife!" Josh smiled as he wrapped his arm around me but not too tight cause he knows I'm very fidgety especially with men touching me unless I touch them. But I felt a sense of safety with Josh so far. But only a little bit. It's just how I am. Hopefully it would all go away eventually.