XLiii| Pato likes to Paint

"Want to twin with me?"

Light streamed into the multicultured room through high-class windows, painting the walls in sunlight and creating reflections in smooth surfaces

Light streamed into the multicultured room through high-class windows, painting the walls in sunlight and creating reflections in smooth surfaces. Laughter accompanied the colours, filled with happiness and calm; giggling followed it from children no older than five years old.

Paint splattered the table as Mira Atkinson watched the toddlers run paintbrushes along the paper or simply cover their hands in paint and slap them down onto the page.

They ranged from one to four years old, and each staff member in charge of looking after two of the children. There were only ten sat around the table, all with large grins as they filled the place with colour.

As usual, Lily, the small blonde toddler, was attached to Mira's hip. Mira didn't mind even though it did concern her slightly; she helped Lily pick the paint she wanted and place paper in front of her when she'd ran out of space to paint.

"I wish my husband brought me flowers," Gina, one of the carers, was complaining. "He always complains that I'm unhappy but he never tries!"

"Could be worse, Gina, my Tony buys me flowers as an excuse so I'll keep doing all of the housework like some maid," Alana huffed.

Alana and Gina were the younger group members (other than Mira who was the youngest). They were in their early thirties and were professional carers with medical training. Gina was a short red-head with tanned skin and dark eyes while Alana was a tall dark-skinned woman with braided black hair and a kind smile.

"Eddie wouldn't even dare say anything about me doing chores!" Ophelia, who was six months pregnant, exclaimed. "I know he's not romantic but he's a good cook and cleaner."

"What about you Mira?" Alana asked with a hopeful sign. "Lando...is he romantic? I mean, with all the travelling..."

"I think so but I'm not into very romantic things so it's hard to tell," Mira shrugged. "It's the little things I adore, like bringing waffles home when I crave them—"

"You do eat a lot of waffles—"

"I know I do Lando—"

Mira stopped and turned around, immediately lighting up and carefully jumping to her feet without startling the toddlers. She through her arms around her boyfriend and almost rolled her eyes at the others going 'aww'.

"See, Tony would never do that for me!" Alana complained.

"You have to stop doing that!" Mira mumbled into his shoulder. "You could just text me—"

"I like grand gestures and besides, I met some people at the airport," said Lando.

Mira couldn't have been happier when she saw Esme Cole and Pato O'Ward standing there.  She'd really missed Esme as would anyone who'd been apart from their best friend for months on an in a completely different country.