crime

part four
                           ~
                          ⸆⸉

That night I slept the best that I had in ages.

No nightmares, no waking up.

Bliss.

When I woke up I thought that perhaps everything that had happened last night had all been some warped dream.

But then I remembered the smell of the sea air and the feel of my bloody hands.

It was all very much real.

And I was glad.

The first thing I heard when I woke up was the sound of sirens blazing in the distance, and for a split second I thought they were coming for me.

It was only when I jerked up and ran over to the window that I realised they were actually pulling up on the other side of the sidewalk, outside of Este's house.

Cordelia made her way over to the cop car, frown stuck on her face.

The type of frown that reads 'It's too early! I want to go back to bed!

Not the type of frown that says 'My husband is missing! I'm devastated!'

I watched as she talked to the cops, and then led them inside the house.

Although I knew there was no evidence left behind to suggest I did anything, I couldn't help but feel my heart flutter as I watched them enter the house.

What if I'd slipped up?

But no, I couldn't have.

It wasn't possible.

I pulled on some clothes and went downstairs.

I couldn't eat any breakfast, I was too busy wondering what the cops were doing right now.

As the morning dragged on, I stopped myself from looking outside to see what was going on.

After all everything was normal, as far as I was concerned I didn't even know the police were there.

John was inside, perfectly happy with his mistress.

I didn't know anything about his whereabouts.

As the morning entered an afternoon, I gave into the temptation and peered through the living room curtain at  Folklore Cottage.

My mouth dropped open when I saw the scene.

Cordelia was stood outside, bickering with the police.

Crowds of people were gathered outside the cottage, some neighbours, others not.

There were people with cameras too, trying to snap shots of Cordelia.

Other cops were trying to hold the crowd back.

I moved away from the window and ran towards my front door.

I had to find out what was happening.

I left my house to hear the noise of the crowds.

Some were now trying to take pictures of me, the friend of the disappearing woman.

"Everyone go home please! There is nothing to be worried about here, we'll update you when we know more!" A cop shouted.

Some people left, others didn't.

"WE WILL BE MAKING ARRESTS IF YOU DO NOT MOVE!" Another burly officer shouted.