Chapter Thirty Four - January 3rd, 2019 [✔]

Bare trees laden with snow, temperatures in the single digits, and a bottomless supply of hot cocoa; winter was here

Bare trees laden with snow, temperatures in the single digits, and a bottomless supply of hot cocoa; winter was here. The school was a serene landscape of pure white. I stood by the frosted window of the school's main entrance, my breath fogging up the glass. I clutched my phone, the device seemed heavier than I remembered.

It had been a few months since Wyatt and I paused our friendship, a decision that had been difficult but necessary. The realization that my codependency was preventing me from growing had finally hit home. He respected the fact that I needed space. I didn't know it at the time, but it was him who played matchmaker in setting me up with Milo and I was grateful for it.

A familiar figure trudged through the snow. Mountain grade boots left behind size 8 footprints. He walked hand in hand with a certain ginger. I couldn't say I didn't see that coming. Nolan had been harboring a crush for sometime now. I'm glad it worked out for them.

I waved a gloved hand.

He waved back.

Wyatt let go of Nolan's hand and jogged over to me. 

Our warm breaths visible in the frosty air,  "I missed you," we said in unison.

"You want to hear something depressing?" I asked, dusting snow off of my coat.

"Go on."

"I deleted your soccer stuff out of my calendar. It was empty. Empty!"

He chuckled, "Of course you think having nothing to do is a bad thing."

Boredom was a slow death.

We found ourselves inside of a cafe, sipping on hot chocolates, and enjoying the ambience. We sat at a three-legged round table near the window with our coats buttoned up all of the way to the top. 

He set his mug down, "I thought you were done with me forever. Thanks for not giving up on our friendship."

"Never," I shook my head. We had too much history. Too many moments together. I could never be done with him. "We're in this together."

Question upon question bounced between us. Who knew how much could change in such little time? It was as if I was talking to a different person. We were different. In a way.

Our break was the first step on my road to healing. It wouldn't be easy, nothing in life ever was, but I was ready. My next step was therapy. Zeriah found a psychologist in our network who didn't live a bajillion miles away.

I was changing.

I liked it.

THE END