Part 30

Rigel

I run. We manage to dodge the Enforcers chasing us and are close to our destination, only a few corridors away from the hangar. That's when I spot several Enforcers standing shoulder to shoulder at the end of a long corridor.

I cannot fight off a group of scourges that size in a hallway. Fortunately, the pet park is nearby, so when the gate hisses open, through the door we go.

The Enforcers have not gone through the gate yet, but they can't be far behind. I scan every possible escape route. The height of the pet park's ceiling is higher than most rooms aboard Hydra so I could fly, but the Enforcers would most likely shoot me.

I scan the pet park, spotting the group of scourge pet owners I have grown to know—Delphinus, Orion, and Sagitta—at their regular location.

I am not a scourge so the Enforcers will make me comply, even if it ends my life. My fellow scourge pet owners, though, might have a chance to shelter Ava. No matter how small of a chance this is, for Ava's sake, I must take it.

I run toward them.

Glow Ball is the first one to notice us, already leaping from Delphinus's shoulder and flying to Ava, pushing its way into Ava's arms.

Delphinus thumps her tail. "What's wrong?"

I give a long look toward the gate. The scourges with me, Delphinus, Orion, and Sagitta, track where I gaze. Immediately, their tails thrash and all of us now know of the threat— Enforcers are entering the pet park.

"They are here to take Ava from me and give her to a scourge owner. The problem is that Ava's last scourge owner abused her." My wings flutter like crazy. "I don't think Ava will survive if she goes with a scourge stranger... I was hoping if... if one of you take her, at least she would have the rahoni or... that thing that looks like a bush or... Any of these other pets would make her happy. So, can one of you take Ava? At least with another pet, she won't be as lonely."

Glow Ball is doing that frantic peeping thing he does and the creature that looks like a shrub is making trumpeting noises.

The tails of all three of them—Orion, Sagitta, and Delphinus—thrash even more, like they are angry, and Orion clenches his fists. My eyes go to each of them, hoping at least one of them will volunteer to take her.

"Do you have somewhere to take Ava?" Delphinus asks.

"I was taking her to some friends with a ship when..." My eyes flick toward the Enforcers.

"I will help you," says Delphinus.

"Thank you," I say, immediately trying to shove Ava into the arms of Delphinus.

Ava clings to me, one hand on my wrist and the other embedded in my wing, refusing to let go.

"What are you—? I'm not offering to take your pet," says Delphinus.

"But the Enforcers..."

Delphinus growls. "A few Enforcers can't stop us."

I am prepared to die and my best hope for Ava is that one of them will break the law and shelter her. "I don't understand."

"Go to your ship," says Delphinus.

I try to return Glow Ball to Delphinus, but the little rahoni keeps ending up in Ava's arms. When I finally separate Glow Ball and Ava and hold the peeping animal out for Delphinus...

"No," says Delphinus firmly.

"If we make it to the Firefly, we will leave Hydra, which means... Your pet..." I leave the obvious unsaid, which is that we will leave Hydra, forever.

"Consider it a long playdate."

"Give us the human," snarls an Enforcer.

Oh no. Three Enforcers within a few wing lengths of me line up. I pull Ava close to my chest, holding one of my hands over her head, hoping it will be enough to protect her. Ava has an equally tight grip on the rahoni.

I widen my wings.

Delphinus stands in front of me. "This is the last stop."

"Together we stand," says Orion, standing next to Delphinus.

Sagitta joins the line. "United in the love for our pets."

This is enough to stop the three closest Enforcers, but more stream through the gates.

Delphinus roars at me. "Run!"