Chapter 9. 1826 

LCharles smiled. "Thank you, my mother planted most of these flowers. Roses are her favorite."
Olivia. "They are my favorite as well. I adore the pink and cream roses."
Charles. "Those are lovely. Roses are Anna's favorite as well."
Olivia smiled. "How sweet."
After walking around the entire garden, they re-entered the estate. It was quite late, nearly midnight, and they were both tired. Making their way up the spiral staircase, they stopped before Olivia's bedroom door.
Charles took her hands. "I had a lovely evening Miss Radcliffe. I do hope that, while you are here, we can do it again."
Olivia smiled. "I would like that very much your grace."
They gazed at each other for several moments, neither one wanting to break contact. Fire and passion had begun to bloom between them, desperate to be released. But it was much too early for their feelings to come to the surface.
Charles cleared his throat, brushing his lips against Olivia's knuckles. "Good night Miss Radcliffe."
Olivia. "Good night your grace."
Exchanging one last smile, they reluctantly let go of each other's hands before turning and stepping into their bedrooms. It was quite clear that sparks of passion and desire had begun to fly between them. However, they couldn't act on those feelings, not yet at least.
Changing into a cream silk nightgown, Olivia climbed into bed and snuggled beneath the blankets. Her first day working as a governess couldn't have gone any better. She knew there would be much more work ahead, but she was ready to face anything that came into her path.
Nestled in his own bed, Charles felt the same peacefulness flow through him. At last, his children had a governess who they adored, and who adored them in return. He could finally relax, knowing that his family would be happy.
Resting peacefully beneath their own blankets, in their own beds, Charles and Olivia fell asleep. Before they knew it, their lives would be forever changed. That change would be for the better.
***
The following afternoon, Olivia was sitting in the beautiful cottage on the Hastings Park property, enjoying a cup of tea with Caroline. Her mother had arrived earlier that morning, and had settled in very quickly. She was much happier now that she was no longer living in the cottage they had once occupied.
Caroline took a sip from her tea cup before placing it onto the breakfast table. "Tell me, how is it being a governess?"
Olivia wiped her mouth after taking a bite of her scone. "It's wonderful mama. Master James and Miss Anna are excellent pupils. They are very eager to learn everything I teach them."
Caroline smiled. "That's lovely my dear, I'm so pleased. How does their father treat you?"
Olivia smiled. "Like his equal. Last night, he invited me to dinner with him. Then he took me for a walk through the gardens"
Carolines eyes widened. "Did he? My goodness, the Duke is a gentleman."
Olivia took a sip from her tea cup. "He is mama, very much so. And he adores his children."
Caroline. "Is he like us?"
Olivia nodded. "Yes, he is a fairy elf hybrid. His mother was an elf and his father was a fairy."
Caroline nodded. "I'm glad you are in his employment my dear."
Olivia. "I am as well. The Duke of Hastings isn't like my previous employers. He is very kind and attentive, and his children are very sweet."
Caroline. "I'm glad your experience has been pleasant so far. I hope it continues."
Olivia smiled, rising to her feet. "I believe it will mama." She kissed her cheek tenderly. "I am so sorry to leave you, but I must return to my pupils."
Caroline smiled, kissing her cheek softly in return. "That's perfectly fine my love. I will come visit you this evening, if that's all right."
Olivia. "Of course mama, I will inform the Duke that you will be dining with us this evening."
Exchanging one last tight embrace, Olivia turned away from her mother and began the short 10 minute walk back to Hastings Park. Entering the house, she said hello to Wilson and the head housekeeper, Mrs. Reynolds, before making her way upstairs to Charles's office. After knocking three times, she was granted entrance and walked inside.
Charles looked up from his paperwork and smiled. "How was your afternoon with your mother?"
Olivia smiled back. "It was lovely, thank you. If it's all right, my mother is coming this evening to dine with us."
Charles. "Of course that's all right. I wouldn't want your mother to be dining alone."
Olivia. "Thank you your grace, that's very much appreciated."
Charles smiled. "You are very welcome."
Giving him a soft smile, Olivia turned and walked into the nursery. After exchanging tight cuddles with James and Anna, she took them to the school room to begin their next lessons. That morning, she had taught them some simple reading techniques. That afternoon's lesson would be on writing.
James. "What are we going to learn next Miss Radcliffe?"
Olivia smiled as she sat down across from them at the desk. "Well, I thought the two of you could begin learning some basic writing."
James and Anna squealed with excitement, clapping their hands with glee. "Yay!"
Olivia giggled before handing them each a piece of paper and a pen. "First, I would like you to write your ABC's. You can choose to make them capital or lowercase."
James and Anna nodded before beginning to write out their letters. They decided to write them capitalized, that way Olivia could see them better. Once they finished, they pushed their papers toward her so she could see their work.
Olivia carefully analyzed each child's piece of paper. Raising her head, she nodded with approval. "Well done, both of you. You know your letters very well. We will need to work on your penmanship, you need to make sure that you write your letters in a straight line."
James. "Will it be difficult?"
Olivia shook her head. "No it won't master James. You and Anna will be able to write very well before you know it."
The children smiled before picking up their pens once again and writing out their letters in a straight line. They couldn't wait to find out what else Miss Radcliffe was going to teach them.