[SMG] The Heart Wants What It Wants

Pairing: mafia!Mingi x fem!reader

AU: mafia au

Word Count: 1.4k (drabble/oneshot)

Summary: Mingi lies to his fiancée and keeps the truth about his identity as a mafia boss from her until she agrees to marry him. What happens when she finds out?

****

Seeing as Mingi was momentarily distracted by all the people around him; presumably his business partners, clients or whatever illegal shit it was that he did with them, she didn't care to know and wanted no part in, she quickly took the chance to make her escape.

In order to ease her movements, her hands immediately flew down to grasp the expensive floor-length velvet dress that he personally hand-picked for her to wear this particular evening.

Her eyes darted around anxiously as she prayed to all the gods she didn't believe in that no one noticed her, she took deep breaths to calm the nerves within. All the while, not forgetting to plaster on a big and fake smile so as to not alert the waiters and bodyguards scattered around the grand hall where her engagement party was currently taking place.

For the longest time, she assumed that her fiancé was nothing more than a successful businessman.

At least, that was what Mingi had wanted her to believe then.

He was only going to keep that façade up until the moment he had her fully wrapped around his fingers, only then would she learn the truth about who he really was. And by then, she would already be too in love with him to even dare think of walking away from him.

Or so he thought.

She knew the truth about his identity now and contrary to his belief, she was going to leave him.

Did she love him still?

Yes, but there was only so much that love can do when you throw a whole lot of gaslighting and deception into the mix.

In the modern dating world, they would have described him as a walking red flag.

The truth is that he was anything but a mere businessman, Mingi was a mafia boss. And not just any mafia boss, he was the biggest and most fearful one in their part of the city.

She had fallen for him, all while thinking he was just a regular businessman working hard to make his name known in the industry.

For the entirety of their relationship, he had presented himself as a successful and upstanding businessman, creating an image of stability and trustworthiness.

She will never forget the sense of betrayal she felt, as the man she thought she knew intimately has been leading a double life.

It made her question everything she believed about their relationship, forcing her to reevaluate their shared past and the authenticity of their connection.

Yes, she loved him but did he truly love her back or was that all just a lie too?

Mixed with the betrayal is a newfound fear for her safety. The realisation that she is entangled with a dangerous criminal adds an element of urgency to her emotional turmoil. She must now navigate the complexities of her emotions while also considering her own well-being and the potential consequences of her association with Mingi.

Too afraid of what he'd do if he found out about her plans to leave him, she did her absolute best to keep up her act and play along as though she was still going to go through with the wedding.