Meet Cute

Dean walked into a diner after finishing up research at the local library.

He sat at a booth, catching the eye of a pretty waitress.

She smiled and said, "Be with you in a moment."

He nodded and looked around the diner. It was an old 50's style; quaint and homey, which provided a surprisingly welcoming atmosphere.

"What can I get you, sir?" the waitress asked.

"A slice of your best pie and your number?" he said with a smile.

She raised a brow. "Are you usually this forward with the waitresses you meet?"

"Depends on the waitress. Say no and I'll drop it. Yes and we can talk or do whatever you want."

"We have apple. One last slice. I guess it's your lucky day."

Dean smiled and said after a moment, "Care to join me?"

"I'm working," she replied with a small smile.

"Diner's pretty empty."

"So? Tell you what. I'll get you a coffee or something. My shift ends in 15 minutes. Think you can wait that long for a slice of pie, hotshot?"

"For you, I think so."

She laughed and walked away.

When her shift ended, she brought the pie over. "I may have bought it. And your coffee."

"Thanks. You didn't have to though."

"I know. It was the least I could do for the trouble."

"Really, it wasn't any trouble. So, Diner Girl, what's your name?"

"A, never call me that again. B, Laurel Dickens. Yes, like Charles Dickens. No I'm not related to him."

"Dean Winchester. It's nice to formally meet you, Laurel."

"Likewise. Have you been working here long?"

"A couple years. It's honest enough work and I don't mind it, but if I'm being honest, it does get mundane."

He chuckled softly. "Well, my life is anything but mundane. I'm a... mechanic, amongst other things."

"Seems to be good work." She caught sight of the Impala. "No way! Is that a '67 Impala?"

"Yeah, it is."

"My dad almost bought one at Rainbow Motors."

"You're kidding. That's where my dad got his."

"Where were you born?"

"Lawrence, Kansas."

"Oh my god," she mumbled. "Lawrence. Winchester. I can't believe I didn't put that together! I'm so sorry about your mom. It was huge news and then you, your father and brother just disappeared."

"Thanks, I appreciate that. Small world."

"Smaller than I thought." She ate a slice of pie, shaking her head. "Wow. Who knew? How are your brother and father?"

"My dad is busy and my brother's at college."

"Good on him! What's he studying?"

"I'm... I'm not sure. It was bad when he left."

She reached across the table and took his hand. "I'm sorry, Dean."

And thus began a love story for the ages, though neither quite realized it yet.