Chapter 1: The Guards are Coming

Warning: In this story religions are often brought up and sometimes bashed. This may be offensive to some readers. Please note I do not really feel this way about any of these religions I'm still respecting them. The most bashed is Christian and that is only because you can't really get through the book without bringing up the priests burning the witches. I myself am a Christian and I do not want anybody to be offended by the content of this book. You have been warned.

If there was a worse time to be a witch it was now. My mama said it's not a crime to be a witch unless your using your powers for evil. But if someone sees you as much a make a flower grow a bit faster you get burnt at the stake. Mama tried to keep me and my sister Essie safe by moving us into a small little village up a mountain that nobody had ever even heard of. That didn't work at all. Witches are being burnt left and right up here too. But its a close knit village so it's not very likely that your going to accuse you neighbor of witchcraft. But like it or not it happens.

Mama says Essie and I have to be kept super safe. She says it's because she loves us but I'm no fool. There's another reason I just don't know what it is yet.

It's a fine spring morning. Essie is playing with a little black dog belonging to someone else in the village. She laughs happily as the pup licks her pale face. I let the soft grass tickle me as the wind moves it ever so slightly. It's so nice to be able to go outside on a warm spring day without having to worry about witch patrols. Too bad it wouldn't last very long.

"Nettie I hear hooves" Essie says fear rising in her voice as she picks up the small pup

"We've got to get home!" I exclaim grabbing Essie's free hand

"We're going to be okay" Essie says trying to be cheerful

I wish I still had that young ignorance Essie had. Hooves meant the witch patrol was coming, they could be burning any poor girl today, even us, or Mama...

"We'll be safe" I say more trying to comfort myself than Essie "We're always fine"

Our house is a small cottage but it feels pretty big to me. Mama is in the kitchen the scent of warm bread fills the room. Jam and cheese are already on the counter. Lunch. But this is no time to think about eating lunch...

"Mama, hooves" I say fearfully

"Blacky is scared" Essie says holding the little pup to her chest

"Get in the back room" Mama says "Stay quiet whalst the guards are here"

"Yes Mama" we both reply kknowing the routine by heart already.

Just like always Essie and I climb into the small room in the very back of the closet furthest from the door. Blacky whimpered in the tiny space but was quickly shushed by Essie. 

We hear a knock at our door...Just like always..I peer half of my head around the hidden door to he back room so I can hear the name of the one being condemned to death.

"How may I help you?" Mama asks

Whoever had come in, probably a guard working for the snot-nosed king that was supposed to be protecting us, didn't reply.

"Cn I offer any bread or cheese I've just made?" Mama asks sounding a bit uneasy

Still no answer.

"Is Mama gonna be OK?" Essie asks 

"Course I reply "Keep quiet we don't want them hearing us, you know how they sometimes take poor little girls who think they're safe out of their homes, they might do that to us"

"Okay sorry Nettie" Essie says quietly before sinking into the darkest corner of the small room.

Poking my head out further I see 2 guards, heavily built men wearing shining silver armor. The lion crest of the king painted on both their chests. Mama is slicing a loaf of bred. She put cranberry jam on it and some of the fresh cheese on the side.