Part 1: A Brand New World (6)

A resounding "Clang!" echoed around the room as Cecilia and Victoria watched the skilled swordsmith wield their hammer. The hot iron rod was flattened and molded into the shape of a sword, sparks flying with each strike.

Cecilia watched in awe as the swordsmith dropped the new blade into a barrel of water, steam rising from the top, matched with a cool sizzle.

The swordsmith pulled the sword out from the barrel of water and laid it upon a table, tilting it so the blade would reflect the light. It gleamed, beautiful, perfect. This blade was a masterpiece, the magnum opus that any smith would strive for.

At least, that was how it seemed to Cecilia, for whom the sword was being forged.

The blade was rather simple, it was short, only as long as Cecilia's forearm. It was about an inch wide, and the tip of it curved into the center. The blade was sharp on both sides, so it could be swung either way, or driven directly into a target.

"The blade should be cool now," the swordsmith said in a calm, cool voice. They picked up the blade and held it out for Cecilia.

She reached out her hands and took the blade. It was lightweight, and felt cool to the touch, despite having just been forged. Its surface was reflective and shone brilliantly, even in the dimly lit room.

"This is your sword now, girl." The swordsmith waved towards the blade.

"My... Sword..." Cecilia was strangely starstruck by the blade. It was so little, yet it meant so much. It was proof of all the adventures she had been on.

This was every otaku's dream; to be transported to another world, then become an adventurer. This sword. This sword was proof that she was really that now, an adventurer.

"What shall you name your blade? The swordsmith inquired.

"Name, a name..." Cecilia closed her eyes in thought, holding her new sword close to her chest. "Something lightningish... like, thunderous lightning..." She pondered possible names. Like a true adventurer, she must give the sword a Japanese name, despite the sword looking nothing like a Japanese sword.

"Lightning, lightning... uhh... Denki? That's lightning, right? And loud, thunderous... uhm... Oh... Okina?"

Her eyes shot open as she came to her conclusion. "This blade!" she hoisted the sword into the air. "Shall be known as... Okina-Denki!"

"Okina-Denki...? How is that written?" Cecilia stopped her celebration, looking rather aghast.

"I don't know how it's written!" Cecilia cried. "I'm a weeb, not bilingual!"

The language in this new world, while it sounded similar to the English Cecilia spoke, was written very differently from anything she had seen on Earth.

Victoria giggled at Cecilia's silly nature.

The swordsmith handed Cecilia a piece of paper and a pen to write out the sword's name on.

How strange, sitting in a smithing facility from medieval times, while holding a pen and paper that looked like it was from the twenty-first century. Despite the medieval, game-like theme of this world, a lot of things resembled modern concepts that Cecilia was used to; things that wouldn't have existed in a time like this.

It made Cecilia wonder if she was the first person from Earth to wind up here, or if somebody else came before her. Perhaps people had been transported to this world for years and years, bringing ideas from Earth to share with this world. If there were still Earthlings here, Cecilia would love the chance to meet them.