Chapter 33 - Caught

☆Jake☆

I wake up to several different things all happening at the same time.

First, I come to the conclusion that Ms. Lysel needs to invest in curtains. It feels like someone is standing in front of me pointing a flashlight straight into my eyes. 

Second, I wake to the hazy memory of last night, and what had happened. What I had said, what Hailey had said. It feels like a dream, but considering I can hear her hissing at me to wake up and shut the hell up, I'm assuming it's not. That she's actually here with me, and what happened last night is real.

Oh, and the third, probably the hardest to ignore, is the insistent, violent pounding coming from the classroom door.

I'm so fucked.

Hailey isn't on my lap anymore, but she's sitting next to me, covering my mouth, aggressively whispering at me to not say anything. I continuously nod, but panic begins to creep up on my lungs, and it becomes harder to breathe. The fact that Hailey is also blocking my airway does absolutely nothing to help.

I grab her hand and pull it away from my mouth so I can inhale the sweet relief of oxygen, but the pounding continues. What do I do? What do we do? Is it a teacher? One of my friends? Lia? Oh hell no. If it's Lia my life is officially over. She'll burst through the door and see me and Hailey, and lose it.

How the hell does she know I'm in here? Did she secretly plant one of those dog-trackers in my shoelaces ? I wouldn't put it past her. 

It has to be Lia. It's the only plausible conclusion. She's the only person I know who's stubborn enough to pound on a classroom door to find her boyfriend at..what time is it? I shift my body to look at the clock. It's five thirty-seven in the morning.

What the fuck. She could have at least slept in. It's way to early to be strutting down the school hallways searching for your unfaithful boyfriend. I need to find a way to break up with her. What happened last night was cheating, and it isn't right. I love another girl, and I no longer have feelings for Lia.

She needs to move on. We'd both be so much happier with other people. She could be with Aaron. Yeah, they'd be perfect for eachother. He used to like Lia, so maybe he'd go for it. Not long term, of course, Adam doesn't do long-term relationships, but I bet it would boost his ego to be with Lia for a short period. He'd probably think it'd be a "turn on" that he stole her from me. Gag. The mental image of that makes me want to dry heave into the palm of my hand.

The knocking stops for a second, and I'm momentarily relieved before a male voice says, "Hailey, I know you and Jake are in there. Don't even try to fucking deny it. I'm so pissed at you right now. If you don't get off your ass and open this door right now, I will kick it down."

Hailey lets out a mortified gasp before I finally realize who's standing outside the door right now, and my blood goes cold. Oh no. He might be just as bad as Lia, because he HATES me. The first time I met him, I was making a homophobic joke to make Aaron happy. I didn't know he was behind me, and considering his reaction, I'm guessing he's anything but straight.

One loud bang sounds from the door, but Hailey doesn't move. She's frozen with her eyes wide, and lips parted. I normally would help her out and go answer the door myself, but if Zander sees me instead of Hailey he may assume some things. Those, "some things" will probably be that Hailey's not answering the door because she's not clothed.

This, this is absolutely terrifying. What should I do? Should I answer and risk being brutally murdered, or should I wait for Hailey to snap out of her daze? I'm scared that if we don't do something soon, Zander will quite literally kick down the door.