『6』

⤿ "Ami," a voice called out from behind him.

Ami turned around to face Nami, who had a grim, serious look on her face.

"Are you okay?" Ami asked with concern.

"We need to leave. Arlong called," Nami said shortly, staring out at the water.

Ami sighed, his expression becoming solemn as he too looked out at the sea.

"One of us should stay here, earn some more money, and pretend to be part of their team still," Nami plotted strategically. "That way they don't suspect we ran off with the map."

"You stay here," Ami said quickly, causing Nami to look back at him in surprise. "I'll go back and see what Arlong wants."

"Ami-" Nami started worriedly.

"Please don't make me stay," Ami implored, a hint of fear in his eyes. "I can't handle being around them any longer. You know that."

Nami's expression softened with understanding and pity. She placed a gentle hand on Ami's shoulder. 

Ami really didn't think he had it in him to stay and get comfortable with Luffy and Zoro more than he already had. 

The stress of maintaining his façade around them was clearly taking an immense toll.

Nami nodded in understanding. "Alright, I'll hold onto the map and sail back to Cocoyashi Village after you. Wait until the next island, then you'll take the boat while I cause some kind of distraction."

Ami nodded tiredly in agreement to her plan.

"I know it's risky," Nami said gently. "But this map is our key to finally being free. We just have to endure a little longer." She squeezed his shoulder, wishing she could ease the pain in his eyes. But the promise of freedom kept them both going.

Someday, somehow, they would break Arlong's hold and save their village. Together they would reclaim their home.

-----

"20,000 men?" Ami questioned dubiously as he stood with Luffy, Zoro, and Nami before a lanky teen with a prominent nose.

"Yes! 20,000 men and women, under the leadership of the great Captain Usopp!" the teen declared grandly, pounding his chest.

Ami raised an incredulous brow, clearly not believing the obvious lie. Everyone also looked skeptical...except for Luffy.

"WHAT! THAT IS SO COOL!" Luffy cheered, stars in his eyes.

Ami glanced at Luffy in disbelief...almost everyone wasn't buying this.

"Calm down, he's obviously lying," Nami scoffed. "And by the looks of those tiny flags, he only has three little followers."

"Three children," Ami commented drily, noting the small toy-like banners poorly hidden in the bushes.

"YOU FIGURED IT OUT!" the teen shrieked as three kids suddenly scrambled from their failed hiding spot and fled.

Ami sweatdropped. "Even if we didn't before, we sure as hell would know now after that reaction..." he muttered. 

This guy was just sad. But Luffy still seemed excited to meet him for some reason.

Ami tuned out of the conversation as his thoughts drifted back to Arlong, wondering what the fishman could want that was important enough to call them away from acquiring the Grand Line map. 

His brow furrowed with unease.

"You coming?" Zoro's voice interrupted his contemplation.

Ami glanced up to see the others heading off. He shook his head. "No, I'll stay with the boat. Our stuff is still on board," he said, trying his best to sound casual.