Inmates Running The Asylum

Rosasharon didn't sleep with you that night. To be fair, though, she didn't sleep at all. Instead, she sat up at her desk all night, scribbling down ideas for tomorrow's sermon.

You dozed on and off --you'd gotten so used to complete darkness at night that it was hard to get a good sleep without all the lights off-- and occasionally woke to find her turned around in her seat, staring at you, her expression shrouded in shadows.

She didn't act guilty, even after you caught her watching you sleep like some kind of creep. Just smiled slowly before turning back around, resuming her writing. It was always harder for you to fall asleep after that, though.

Needless to say, you weren't very well-rested when it was time for worship the next morning. You were half-asleep as you got ready, even ended up putting your dress and shoes on the wrong way before having to undress and redress.

"Ready?" She asked, somehow knowing when the morning sermon was about to begin without ever needing a watch or clock, as if she could tell time based on where the sun was in the sky.

You gave her a tired glare but said nothing, just walked past her out of the cabin. She followed close on your heels.

The girls gathered outside the chapel were visibly confused, probably wondering why the doors were closed and where Nurse Thorne was.

"Good morning, everyone!" Rosasharon addressed the crowd. She barely needed to raise her voice. When she spoke, they all listened. "Nurse Thorne had some urgent business she needed to take care of. She may not be here in person, but she's with us in spirit! Before she left, she put me in charge... So I'll be giving sermons until she returns."

There was a bit of excited murmuring amongst the girls.

She smiled indulgently before reaching up to pull off her veil, letting it flutter to the ground. "Why don't we have our sermon outside for a change?" She suggested. "As much as I love this little chapel, its atmosphere can be so... Suffocating at times. Let's go to the lake!"

The rest of the girls tentatively took their veils off as well, behaving as if they were doing something wrong. Then again, a few were a little too enthusiastic, ripping off the scrap of lace and stomping it into the dirt.

She led everyone to the edge of the lake, where she waded in deep, up to the waist. The crowd lingered around the edges of the water, mindful of the mud. It was hard enough as it was to keep white ballet flats white.

Then she started to preach.

"Today, I want to talk about baptism and how it showcases the grace of God! You see... One woman goes into the waters of baptism. And a different woman comes out, born again. But who is that woman who lies submerged? Perhaps that swimmer is both sinner and saint, until she is revealed unto the eyes of her fellows."

She proceeded to go on and on about the importance of baptism, how it illustrated --in dramatic style-- the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ as well as "our death to sin and new life in Christ." Whatever that meant.

You tuned out a great deal of it. It wasn't completely your fault, however. Sometimes you'd blink a little too long and open your eyes to find more time than you thought had passed. Maybe you were unconsciously dozing, taking little micro naps throughout.

You only suddenly jerked awake when she raised her voice to the crowd. "Tell me, sisters! Do you wish to be reborn in the sweet waters of baptism?"

"Yes!" The girls answered overzealously.

"Are you ready to be washed clean before the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?"

"Yes!" They shouted again, louder this time, as if they wanted not just their preacher but God to hear them as well.