Chapter 8: Kicked Puppy

Aevran

She looked so innocent and fragile, curled up on her bed, her sniveling and hiccuping sounds muffled by the pillow.  Fear stank pretty badly in the room. Her long, dirty blonde hair was matted so badly I gave it a skeptical look, wondering how she would untangle it.

What had she been doing the past few days? A girl who handled herself with such negligence didn't deserve to be Queen over anyone, let alone my vampires.

I rolled my eyes. Walking silently to her, I joined her on the bed and touched the back of her neck. I pushed energy out of myself and into her body through the contact and felt slightly relieved as her aura regained strength.

Still, she kept her face hidden and crying, playing the victim.

Ha, I thought with dark amusement. She's behaving like a kicked puppy.

"Leave," she snapped at me suddenly with her pretty voice. "You have nothing to do here. I don't want to see you."

I rolled my eyes, exasperated. This is what I get for helping a werewolf. "I am your mate Alexandra, I—"

"You what?" She cut me off sharply. "Don't you dare bring up that mate bullshit on me, vampire, not after shunning me for two months."

Stupid, ignorant girl. She hadn't the slightest idea why I was staying away and here she was giving me an earful about it.

"You don't know what I've been through; you were never there and you didn't care. Isn't it enough that I have a mate and I'm living in my brother's house? Have you taken a moment to wonder if that is how it's supposed to be? How I feel about it? No, of course not, you don't give a damn. I have a mate I can't find even if I desperately needed him, who gives me one visit a fucking month. A stupid mate who is causing me more harm than—"She didn't finish that sentence. I thought that was it, but no, she wasn't done playing kicked mutt. "A mate who looks down on me because of something he doesn't even begin to understand, and which I can't help either. A mate who is so damn selfish he won't even just let me go."

I glared as she raised her face to look at mine.

"Don't piss me off Alexan—" I began, only for the insolent brat to cut me off again.

"Or what?!" She sneered. "Or what, you stuck up asshole? Will you kill me? Will you kill your mate? I don't know a thing about you. You refuse to treat me like your mate but you don't let me go. When I want to see you you're not there, but of course you know where I am. You come to me when you miss me but I'm not expected to miss you. You are indifferent and aloof and it hurts, you bastard. So you'd better do something about it or you'll regret it; and yes, that is a threat. I need to know what I'm fighting for."

About time she finished, I was getting tired of her whining. Did she honestly believe she was the only one who was hurt by the separation?

And she had the nerve to threaten me. Who did she think would be intimidated by that?

"And this is why I didn't want a werewolf," I snapped back. Time to knock some sense into her. "You're so damn sensitive. So what, now I'm a bad mate because I didn't act all moonstruck when I met you? Because I didn't drop to my knees and kiss the path you walked? Please, give me a break. If you want to know me fine here's who I am. My name is Aevran Ice and I'm a killer. I'm a douchebag who doesn't care what you want or think is appropriate for mates. You want me to visit more frequently? I might. You want me to show you my home? Hell to the fucking no. So go ahead, you pretty little Wolf, do your worst. But you must understand: you are mine and I will never let you go. You are stuck with me. That is your fate as it is mine to have you strapped to my back like the little itch you are."