Chapter 9: Strangers At Heart

My head is fuzzy and I feel nothing but pain, fear, and anger. It's a dangerous potion brewing in the pot. My entire body burns and aches on the inside as if I'm on fire. Two fires burn inside of me— The flames of pain and vengeance. Both are equally as dangerous. The flames inside me mix with the smell of ash and charred wood. The pile of rubbish around me that used to be a village. The village Ryker and I left to rescue the people taken. "How did I even get here?" I wonder out loud. Right, I remember...

~~~~~~~~~~

"They aren't a threat, Thee. It's no different if you were caught. Now stop talking until we get there." That was the last thing he said before we traveled back to the village where I once lived. The entire walk was silent besides the snapping of twigs under our feet and the crickets chirping. Instead of the normal welcome of torches, music, and distant chatter and laughter, we were surprised by the sound of yelling, bright torchlight, screams of pain, and violence. Close to the entrance, the hunters are unloading their prisoners and forcing them into the village jail. We never used the jail before. It was just there as a warning if anyone thought of doing something. Now it's being inhabited by innocent people for being thought of as a threat. Who knew this village would come to this? "Thee, make sure they can't see you," Ryker whispers to me. I hide behind a large, stone wall, which connects to the gate, and observe. "First part of the plan— we observe until we can figure out their cycle on how they guard it. After that, we strike silently, break everyone out, and leave before they find out," Ryker says. "Wait, aren't we going to take down the hunters so they can't do this again or to anyone else?" I ask. "No, no one in the village was ever prepared for war. They're not ready and hundreds will be killed. We aren't risking that," Ryker says as he sits on the ground in the trees and begins to make camp. "But what about," I say before being interrupted by him. "No debate. Now sit and rest. We have a lot to figure out in so little time," Ryker says. I sigh, knowing there's no arguing with him, lay down, and find myself drifting off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Thyra," Ryker says, shaking me and walking me from my slumber. "Hm?" I ask tiredly. "I figured out their pattern. After the sun or moon moves a certain amount, about fifteen degrees, they switch people. There's an elderly man who watches the prisoners before dawn and after midday. He falls asleep on the job often. That's when we strike," Ryker says. "How did you figure that out so quickly? It's only been a night," I say. "You've been asleep for three days, Thyra," Ryker says. "Three days?!" I ask. "Yes. You were very tired from what happened," Ryker says, "It'd be best for us to strike early so the moonlight will conceal us and we can blend with the shadows. Also, no bystanders will be around at that time." "Oh... Okay," I say, "When is that?" "Right now, actually," Ryker says as he looks at the moon in the sky, "That's why I woke you. Let's go while we can." Without another word, he puts on a black cloak, which he probably stole, and sneaks into the street. I notice an identical one next to me, definitely also stolen, put it on and follow him. He is soundless as he walks through the streets. He chooses to walk a route to the jail that has no torches and is not very crowded. Though, it's part of the rougher side of the village and is very saddening to see. I remember crossing through this part of the village when I was a small girl. It was the first time my parents took me to the village when they were distributing the serums we made, and they took me to this part of it. I wanted to see all of the village but this part of it saddened me the most. I remember vowing I'd help the less fortunate people here if I ever could. Finally, we reach the jail and, as Ryker said, the elderly man is asleep, guarding it. "Let's go," Ryker says, sneaking towards the jail entrance. He quietly picks the lock and opens the large, metal doors. I follow his lead and sneak inside and he closes the door behind us. It stays unlocked but it's less obvious it's been opened. It's kind of interesting watching Ryker do this thing. He does this often and he never gets caught. We walk down a long, dark, cold, wet hallway with empty cells around us until we reach a heavy, metal door. "They put them in the dangerous prisoner cells. Of course," Ryker mutters before he, struggling but successfully, picks the lock. We both force the door open and, standing in front of us, are each of the prisoners. They're all chained up to the walls in odd-looking handcuffs. The handcuffs cover their hands and feet, however many they have, and a few of them have muzzles. "Thyra, get the ones on the left. I'll get the rest," Ryker says as he starts to pick the handcuff locks. I nod and copy what he's doing. It's more difficult than it looks and he does it faster than I do, but I managed to free a few of the captured prisoners. "I got these two," Ryker says as I start picking the lock to Jericho's multiple handcuffs, or tentacle cuffs in his case. "Thank you, Thyra," Jericho says once I free him. "You're welcome," I say with a smile. "For being so stupid," Jericho says. "What?" I ask as I back into someone and am knocked out cold.

ANOTHER SHORT ONE BUT WE'RE SO CLOSE TO THE BIG PLOT POINT. STAY PATIENT WITH ME BUT I HOPE YOU LIKED THIS CHAPTER. LOVE YOU GUYS!!