chapter eight

Haley

The ringing in my ears silence everything around me.

This can't be happening. Not after one of the best nights of my life. What does Tristan want?

I made it perfectly clear that we weren't together anymore after he told me he cheated, so why is he here with suitcase in his hand?

The blinding fog invading my mind clears up at the shake of Nate's hand in mine.

I turn my head back towards him and lift my chin to meet his concerned eyes.

I can barely breathe. My breaths turn into drastic panting as my heart pounds harder and faster than ever before.

"What's wrong with her?" Nate asks everyone, the concern in his voice sends shivers through my body.

The expression in his eyes becomes serious. "Did she take something?" His voice is loud, demanding an answer.

My eyes depart from Nate to face everyone. From the looks on their faces, they've all seen Tristan too.

Dove steps forwards and gives a reassuring look, "Nate, she hasn't taken anything. Go back to your hotel-"

"I'm not leaving until I know she's okay!" His jarring voice makes me jump.

Cameron, the man Nate introduced to Dove at the tracks, steps in front of her. His muscular figure covers her and his eyes darken whilst examining Nate.

I snap back into reality at his yell, "Nate," I pause to meet his dreamy eyes once again.

I gently hold his burned up cheek, "Go. I'm fine, I'll see you tomorrow." I force a believable smile on my face and although Nate still shows signs of worry, his face slightly softens.

His eyebrows crinkle into an unsure look. With my hand still resting on his cheek, I lower my thumb to his lips and lift the corner of his mouth, forming a half smile.

"Okay." His muscles relax and he starts brushing soft strokes up my arm with his hand.

Goosebumps rise on my body at his gentle touch. I would be embarrassed on how fast my body reacts to even a brush of wind caused by him, but I don't seem to with Nate.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He asks, his tone calm but a hint of worry invades his words.

"Yes." I lie. Guilt fills my stomach, I don't want to lie to Nate, but I need to talk to Tristan.

"Come on man." Nick groans as he grasps Nate's shoulder. I can sense slight anger in his tone.

I plaster a beaming smile on my lips, even though I feel like I'm about to physically faint, to convince him I'm okay.

I spot a glimpse of something unfamiliar in his eyes before it quickly disappears as Nick pushes him away from me.

Is it possible to grieve someone after a single second of being separated?

I feel a pair of hands grip my shoulders, my body jumps at the unexpected touch.

"What the actual fuck is he doing here?" Jasina asks, her hands still attached to my shoulders whilst Dove lingers by her side.

Blaire and Laila have disappeared, I'm guessing Blaire was ready to pass out after how much alcohol she'd consumed.

Although I'm facing them both, the loud slams of his feet strutting towards us makes my heart pound uncontrollably.

I hesitatingly twist my head and turn bright red when I spot Tristans angry eyes.

"My dad just died Tristan!" He'd followed me outside after I frantically ran out of Club Inferno after seeing that the hospital was ringing me, and he's as drunk as ever.

I haven't been in contact with my father for years, so it was a shock to get the call from the hospital on a Saturday night telling me my father had overdosed and passed.

Tristan let's out a sly snigger. My cheeks are red with overwhelming emotion, "You should be celebrating Haley!"

He grabs my shoulders as hard as he possibly can with a wide smile printed onto his face.

Fear floods my body, my vision becomes blurry with tears.

I look down at the floor, terrified to mood.

"Didn't he abuse you? Or-" Before he could finish I find the courage to look up and muster the words, "Or what, Tristan?" I ask, scared of what he's about to say.

He removes his hands from my shoulders, thank god, and places them on the back of his head. "Doesn't matter babe."

I know what he was going to say. Or were you making that up?

My heart cracks, and the tears in my eyes finally evacuate my red eyes.

"Tell Dove I've gone back to the apartment." I say, rushing off.

He has the same look in his eyes from that night years ago, absolutely fucking furious.

When he finally reaches us with his suitcase scraping the floor, he closes the space between us.

"Classic Haley. You left less than 40 hours ago and your already with another guy? You fucking whore-"

Jasina stands between us, seperating him from me.

Jasina raises her hand and points a finger in his face, "You ever fucking talk to her like that again and you'll be limping from your aching micro penis." She's serious, and I would laugh if I hadn't been so taken aback.

Although he wasn't the best boyfriend, we have a long history. I hate to admit it, but I loved him. Even after all the things he'd done, I always did.

But that word, whore. All of my feelings after six years together died. Crumbled. Evaporated.

In some sort of fucked up way, seeing him so mad and unfiltered made me relieved to finally see the raw, disgusting him.

"Haley!" Laila shouts while a panicked Blaire wobbled behind her.

I snap out of the consuming thoughts in my mind and finally focus on my surroundings.

Jasina and Tristan are absolutely screaming at eachother whilst Laila is holding a clearly panicked, and drunk, Blaire.

"Come on, just leave him." Dove pushed Jasina aside while looking Tristan up and down.

I turn to face Tristan again who's gone silent, and after all of these years of having such a deep love for him, I feel nothing.

I just want this night to be over with, to crawl into bed and go to the beach in the morning with my friends (maybe Nate too) and not worry about Tristan.

"Bye Tristan." I mumble, turning away and walking inside of the hotel with the girls walking besides me.

Tristan stays there, and I can feel his eyes burn into me.

He knows we're done, or I hope so.