❄️Forty-Five❄️

The bath was a sequence of blissful moments, which made Nora lose herself in Martin always more irretrievably.

The instant she let him lead her inside the lake, slipping and sliding on smooth rocks covered in a layer of water plants she could not perceive in the candlelight, the warm water encased her body in its embrace just like Martin's arms, hands, and fingers that never let go of her, caressing, teasing, suggesting, promising so much more in their whisper-like touches, making her anticipation and impatience grow as the seconds passed, tempting her own hands to become more courageous, her body more relaxed and inviting.

She had fallen in love with Martin, she would tell him soon but tonight she just... couldn't focus on anything but his touch, she... wanted to feel him in the most intimate way... they needed each other... Her thoughts came in flickers like the candlelight, vanished with her breath each time he made her heart trip with another caress, making her legs feel so weak that she was afraid that she would not be able to walk out of the lake without stumbling when Martin proposed they leave upon seeing the gooseflesh forming on the exposed skin of her shoulders. She nodded as soon as he said that, impatient to follow him out of this cave, back into reality, to spend the night with him, knowing that this night would change... everything between them.

Nora shivered slightly at the touch of Martin's trembling fingers which had gotten her permission to peel the wet swimsuit off her, and wrapped her in one of the towels, her heart soaring at seeing the look in his eyes, feeling that he was just as elated about this night, about them, as she was.

He kissed her deeply before grabbing his clothes and leaving her alone to get dressed, coming back once she was ready to gather their swimsuits and towels into his backpack.

"I've almost forgotten," he said as he pulled the iron ring with keys and a small bright envelope from one of the backpack's side pockets. "If you still insist on coming to the ball alone, you'll need this. They won't let you in without the invitation."

"As official as that, is it, my lord?" Nora smiled at him, pushing the envelope into the pocket of her coat. You must remember the dress! she told herself, knowing that at this point, she would have to accept anything Magdalena had left or improvise something at home. She almost laughed as she imagined herself attending the posh ball in something homemade. She could be... a ghost, it would only take one white sheet to create a dress... But their game was on; she needed a dress in which Martin would not recognise her.

"Only because the ballroom can accommodate a certain number of dancing couples without making it feel overcrowded," he explained, scattering her thoughts.

He bestowed a kiss on the tip of Nora's nose, then led her to the entrance of the cave, leaving her there while he made his way around the lake to blow out the candles, the fog-like steam raising from its placid surface stealing him from her for moments too long, making her want to follow him, the scent of smoke and melting wax filling the place around her like a spell, moving in swirls in his wake.

Then he was next to her again, his lips claiming hers, her hands laced around his neck, his closeness making her feel overjoyed, dizzy like a glass of the best Champagne.

"Let's go home," he muttered, his forehead resting against Nora's in the near perfect darkness as he collected his breath.

Nora strengthened her hold around him, revelling in the moment, loving to see his response to this moment, their closeness, her... She nodded finally, and, hand in hand, they mounted the spiral staircase, blowing out more melting candles as they moved upwards, the fantastic, secret place flickering out of existence with the last trembling flame as they reached the rotunda again and Martin lowered the trap door smoothly and silently into its place, rendering it almost invisible.