From The 35th Floor

From The 35th Floor

            September 11, 2001 was a date that changed thousands of lives and the United States as a whole. In the weeks that followed bodies were recovered. Among the wreckage was the body of reporter Roger Byfield. Roger’s name wasn’t blasted in the press or on the news. In fact few knew who Roger was. However, a document in his briefcase that was found next to his body has let his memory live on. The document is believed to be Roger’s last thoughts which he wrote on a legal pad while being stuck in an elevator somewhere between floors of the North Tower. What follows is his words:

            To Miley, Jason, and Brooke, I love you guys. I’m not sure what’s going on here today but I know that it can’t be good. I hear screams and people saying that a plane hit the building. I’m not sure if it’s a hoax or not but if not and I don’t make it home I want to make sure that my words are left for you guys.

            Jason, My son you have grown up to be everything that I wanted you to be. They say that the apple never falls far from the tree but in this case I have to believe that you will grow up to be more of a man then I ever was.

            I know that you’re worried about the girl in school who doesn’t seem to know you exist. If that’s the case then she didn’t deserve you anyway. Move on to a woman who will give you the time of day and treat you like the real man that your destined to become.

            Should this be the last time that you hear from me I also want you to know that you’re now in charge son. You’ll need to be there to take care of your sister and your Mom. I know you can do it Jason I have more faith in you then you may ever know. I love you son.

            Brooke, My sweet baby girl, I love you too. Every day with you has been a treasure that I will never get rid of. I know you’re probably too young to realize what’s going on. One day though you will understand that while dad wasn’t a hero he was someone who went after what he wanted and I hope you do the same.

            I have no doubt that you grow up to be a wonderful woman with a beautiful family that you’ll love and cherish just like me and your mom have done with you and your brother. The world is indeed your oyster Brooke. That goes for you too Jason and don’t either of you forget that.

            Finally to Miley, before you read this part of the letter all I ask is that you send the children away. Some of what I need to tell you isn’t suitable for their ears and I feel that it could upset you and I want to make sure that should you cry they don’t see it.

            If they’re gone I’ll continue...

            Miley I’ve loved you since the day that I laid eyes on you. For some reason there was a connection there that I haven’t ever felt with anyone and I didn’t know how to explain it. In the time we’ve been together we’ve had two beautiful children. We’ve also shared a lot of memories I wouldn’t trade.

            But I haven’t always been honest with you.

            In fact there’s a lot that you don’t know about me and that’s the major reason that I’m writing this letter to you. If something were to happen to me I couldn’t leave this world without you knowing everything.

            First I have to say that there has been another woman. In fact for the last two years I’ve been seeing someone else. Now before you think that it was caused by you I can tell you that it wasn’t. My own selfish needs and desires won out over my love for you and I couldn’t help myself.