chapter eight

𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

The group climbed out of the building and onto the roof, Emily stayed firmly in Joels arms refusing to move despite Joels desperate attempts to put her down. Emily's tiny body was still shaking in pure fear and she didn't really register what was happening around her at the moment, all she knew is Joel was holding her and that he'd keep her safe. Which made a pretty good reason to the six year old for her to stay with him.

Tess made it through the window and immediately sat down, her ankle clearly hurting the woman. Joel pulled his bag off and rummaged through it, struggling a little due to the girl clinging to him. "Put this on your arm." He handed Ellie a bit off bandage.

"Thanks. I uh- Emmy did she- I-." Ellie began stuttering in fear as she looked at her sister. She was afraid that Emily had been bitten but was in to much shock to feel it. Ellie hadn't been able to watch Emily the whole time so she didn't know if she had been hurt.

"I didn't see it happen but I'm going to check her over to make sure, okay?" Joel reassured.

"Okay. Over there?" Ellie questioned looking at the plank between the two buildings.

"Yeah, I know. It looks scary." The man replied as he passed Tess some bandages to wrap her foot. The woman happily excepted the help, although deep down she knew that in a couple hours it wouldn't matter anyway, it wouldn't change her fate.

"That was scary. This is wood." Ellie replied, walking over the plank with no care of the height it hung from.

"Just wait there. Give us a minute." Joel said before turning his attention to the youngest Williams instead.

Gently he removed Emily's death grip on him by grabbing her arms and pulling them away from him. Emily let out a little cry in protest, not wanting to be on her own. "Please.." she cried as she tried to dive back into Joels hold.

"Em? You're okay, we're safe. I just need to make sure you're not hurt." Joel said with an unusually soft tone. The man was starting to develop soft spot for Emily, even he began to realise it. He'd never admit it though, he was adamant to keep up his annoyance with having the girls in the first place.

Emily cried a little more as Joel placed her on the floor in front of him as he knelt down. "D-does anything hurt?" Joel asked. He wasn't just talking about bites, maybe she could have hit an arm or leg too resulting in a sprain. The girl shook her head in response as she once again tried to get back in his arms.

Joel gently looked around Emily's clothes, hands and legs, and didn't find nothing apart from cuts and scrapes to which he let out a sigh in relief.

"T-they almost got me.." Emily said in a heartbreaking tone. Joel didn't know how to comfort the girl, it had been over 20 years since someone so young was seeking comfort in Joel Miller and he wasn't sure how to feel about it. Part of him wanted to stay mad, to distance himself from Emily before she got to attached. However the other part of Joel wanted her to get attached to him, he wanted to comfort and protect the girl but last time he allowed himself to do that it didn't end well.

"They almost you.." The little girl added. She spoke in a shy tone, looking up at the man with fear and sadness in her eyes. Joel was confused, why would a random six year old care if he died?

"I-I had to-" she went in before being cut off by the man.

"But they didn't. Me and Tess told you we'd protect you and we did right? You're okay, and you don't need to worry about me." Joel spoke, he didn't want Emily to worry about him and he sure as hell didn't want her risking her life for him. Today she had done both of those things and all Joel could feel is pure guilt. He saw the look in her eyes as the clicker made its way to her instead of Joel, the terrified look laced in her blue orbs. A six year old was ready to die to save a man like Joel and Joel hated himself for allowing Emily to intervene.