Dream Catcher

“Everything fell away. Loneliness submerged me. The realization hit me like a ton of bricks, and I was falling.”

“Tell me about falling.”

“The floor melts around my feet. I’m trying to hang on, but there’s nothing there.”

“What do you mean… nothing there?”

“It’s as if I’m suspended in free fall,” he said, taking a deep breath. “And then, the world falls away, and I’m falling. But it’s more than that. There’s nothing, just the sound of air whooshing around me. I feel as though I’m moving faster than the speed of light. I am light, perhaps.”

What are you feeling?” she asked, “Tell me what’s going through your mind.”

“Honestly?”

“Yes,” she encouraged.

“Nothing. I feel nothing. Just the fall.”

“No emotion?”

“No.”

“You’re not afraid,” she asked.

“No. Not at all. I’m comforted, actually,” he said.

“How so?” she asked.

“I’m not sure,” he said, breathing deeply. “I’m not alone. There are others. I can feel them around me.”

“Do you know them? Are they family?” she asked.

“I’m not sure. I can’t see them. I can feel them. I can hear them calling out,” he said.

“I thought there weren’t any sounds, Mark. Has that changed?”

“No. There aren’t any voices. It’s as if they scream into my thoughts. I feel the others. I can feel their pain, their thoughts.”

“Tell me about that, Mark.”

“I can’t,” he said.

“Why?” she asked, sympathetically.

“I’m afraid,” he said.

“You’re feeling now?”

“It’s too much,” he whimpered.”

“Focus on my voice, Mark. Concentrate. You’re safe. You know that, don’t you?”

“Help me,” he screamed.

“I…” she started, dumbfounded. Dawn watched him writhe in pain. She had to pull the illusion away from him. It’s a delicate situation, she thought. “Alright, Mark. I’m going to count to three. As I count down, everything around you will disappear and you’ll awaken with no memory of pain or fear. Okay?”

“Something is tearing through my skin. I can’t breathe,” he shouted.

“Mark, listen to me. You feel only comfort. Three.”

He screamed out. His body thrashed violently back and forth.

“You’re not afraid, Mark. It’s a beautiful day. There isn’t a cloud in the sky. Two.”

“I’m dying,” he yelled.

Dawn reached out, caressing his arm. “Take a deep calming breath, Mark. You’ll awaken refreshed, and feeling better than you have in days. One.”

“Noooo…” he screamed, jumping from the couch. He looked around, confused. “What just happened?”

“How are you feeling?” she asked, nervously.

“Great,” he replied. “I feel amazing.”

“Amazing?” Dawn asked.