with friends like you, who needs friends? [H.Steinfeld]

summary: you had always said relationships weren't for you but a certain brunette seems hellbent on proving you wrong.

warnings: party + alcohol = drunk hailee; R doesn't drink, they just get to watch the chaos unfold; one (1) makeout session; hailee's puppy-dog eyes [yes, they need a warning]

wordcount: 1.5k

a/n: this is basically just black cat gf x golden retriever gf so do with that information what you will. hailee's a little bit kate bishop coded in this one but shhh.  

* * * * * * *

Was there anything worse than being forced to come to a party you didn't want to be at? Turns out the answer is yes. Somehow, your friends had all decided to team up against you to turn tonight into an absolute mess.

Okay, maybe you were being dramatic but with good reason.

Your friends had found out about the significant Hailee-shaped soft spot in your usually impenetrable heart and they had chosen tonight to force the evidence out of you. The worst part of the whole ordeal is the fact that the party was technically your idea.

You had jokingly told Hailee she ought to hold more parties considering how gorgeous her house is and she wasted no time in planning one. There was quite literally no reason for the shindig you had been forced to come to but no one seemed to mind. No one except you. Although you slowly stopped being such a grump about it the more you saw a certain brunette smile.

Unfortunately, your shift from annoyance to heart-eyes doesn't go unnoticed by your friends who keep sending you knowing looks every time you slip away from them to talk to an increasingly unsober Hailee. You had never been the type to feel protective over the people in your life but clearly, she's the exception to most of your rules.

Including your rule against relationships.

"y/n!" Hailee's voice greets you the second you step into her kitchen. "There you are, I've been looking for you!"

You bite your tongue to stop yourself from teasing her for the noticeable slur to her words. "I've been in the same spot all night, Haiz."

She makes a face at the nickname. Her disdain for you calling her that had been made evident a few weeks ago but you still didn't understand it. She seems to love it when people call her Haiz, why are you the exception?

"You've been moping on my couch since the party started," she half-complains, half-informs.

"I'm not the party type," you reply with a shrug. "And I'm not moping."

"Then why do you have that look on your face?"

You raise an eyebrow in response which prompts the brunette to attempt to recreate your 'moping' look. You're not sure if she's trying to make you smile or if she's making fun of you but you quickly realize you don't really mind either way. Especially considering how cute she looks with that exaggerated pout on her face.

"I look nothing like that," you say, the smallest of smiles grazing your face.

She shrugs. "True but I made you smile."

"You're unbelievable."

"You're the one with the crush."

Your face heats up a noticeable amount, at least, that's what the smirk Hailee wears tells you. You're not one to be outmatched though so you do your best to recover. "I think you've got that backward, darling."

Your hands grip her waist and you gently guide her backward until she's trapped between you and a counter. You stare at her, waiting for the clever comeback that never comes. You worry you've crossed some invisible boundary when she practically lunges forward to press her lips to yours.