Chapter 35 - Holly

Evan had become a lone wolf the night before, and his scent had changed accordingly. My wolf had liked his smell before and also enjoyed the new one. It's never reacted to another wolf like this, so I'm at a loss for what to do.

I looked at his profile as we drove, taking in his blond hair and good looks. I knew his eyes were violet, which is odd for a wolf. He currently has sunglasses on, which make him look even more handsome. I noticed him sniffing me, so I wondered if his wolf liked my scent, too.

When this plan was hatched, a Mahani had to go with him so the Alphas would have someone to lock in on and open the rings. Evan had asked me if I would like to go. Since I'm usually behind the scenes and not with the ground force, I happily agreed. Well, that's what I told them anyway. I wanted to spend some more time with him.

We had driven most of the night, so coffee was involved, and caffeine makes me talkative. We discussed our childhoods. When I told him what happened to my sister, he told me about Megan. I knew he was the Alpha that Sands' daughter had wanted at the Wolf Camp, the one she decided to get even with when he denied her. I never truly recovered from seeing my sister die, but I can't imagine watching your mate be killed.

He asked me about my work, and I went on and on about saving others, especially children. How rewarding my position is! He said he would like to go to work for TALE, but he's concerned with how far away he would be from his mom. I mentioned that TALE is always looking for teachers, as he had stated that she was forced into retirement from teaching the young ones when the new instructors had graduated from the university within the pack.

Once we got to the outskirts of Montross land, we waited silently for the text telling us they were leaving for the border. Once the signal stopped moving, Evan knew precisely where they were. Hopefully, they will not pick up that we are here until it's too late.

We got out of the car and jogged the rest of the way. I sent a vibe through to Dean to let him know we pinpointed his location. Once we could see them through the dense trees, I told my Blood Alpha we were ready and sent the second vibration.

"What's wrong?" Blood Alpha Montross said to his son. I saw Dean take a step back away from them before he answered.

"I'll take my punishment, whatever it may be."

Before they could react to that statement, three Alpha Rings opened simultaneously. The one in the center was Leah. The Blood Alphas Cooper and Jones were in rings on either side. None of them stepped over the threshold.

"You will disregard all Alpha commands given to you!" They all commanded at once.

The amount of power in the air brought me to my knees, and I was not even in range, but Evan caught me before I fell. His eyes shone brightly when I glanced at him as his animal was close to the surface.

When I looked back up, both Montross Blood Alphas and Dean were on the ground, panting from the power forced over them.

"Dad," Dean mumbled as he crawled over to his father. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. We need to save the others and couldn't because of the command you were both given. Please be okay!" Dean was crying as he shook his dad and looked at his grandfather.

Blood Alpha Glenn Montross slowly came to and got to his feet. The man shook his head a bit and blinked in confusion. He looked down at his son, kneeling in the leaf litter, and then over to his father, who was unsteadily getting to his feet.

"What did you do?!" He yelled at Dean.

"Don't blame him, blame me," Evan yelled from where we stood. We couldn't take another step as Montross land started on the other side of the trees.

Their heads shot up at the sound of his voice. Since everyone was looking at us, they didn't notice the portals closing but saw them reopen behind us. This time, the Mahani stepped out, coming up behind us.

"Blood Alpha Montross, may we have a few minutes of your time?" asked Blood Alpha Cooper in a respectable tone. We knew how to talk to pack wolves.

"What is going on here?!" The elder Blood Alpha raged. "How dare you defy us and come on our land!"

Blood Alpha Cooper kept his voice even and low. "We know better than to defy an order from a Blood Alpha. We opened the portal but never stepped out. We know you both were given an Alpha command when emerging. That command is now gone."

That surprised both of them, and I could see them mentally checking. They looked at each other before looking back at us.

"How?" The elder asked softly.

"We have the power to do so. When your son discovered this power, he asked us to help you. Since he is the son of the Blood Alpha, we agreed to help." He looked down at Dean and then back to them before continuing. "I won't lie to you. We have an ulterior motive. We need to help Theo and the others before it's too late. We could only do that properly if you allow us to."

"My Beta's son?"

"Yes. He and a few others were given an Alpha command to reject their mates. I can fix that if they still want their mates." Blood Alpha Jones said in his deep tone.

"Who the hell gave him a command to do that?!" Dean's father screamed.

"Blood Alpha Sands," Evan replied.

"How dare he?!" The current Blood Alpha Montross and his wolf spoke together.

I felt Evans's arms pull me back and behind him. He was guarding me? I wasn't sure whether to be insulted or happy that he cared enough to do that. Who am I kidding? My wolf is overjoyed.

"May we come on your land, Blood Alpha Montross?" Leah asked with almost a begging tone.

"You may. But Evan can not." He said with authority.

I looked at Evan, and he nodded at his old Blood Alpha, thoroughly understanding the situation. He then turned to me.

"Would you like a ride back? Or will you stay and go home through an Alpha ring?"

I looked to the Mahani. The men were all standing together and shaking hands. Dean's father helped him stand and hugged him, rubbing his back as the boy got himself together. Leah waved me away with a wink. I sometimes forget that she can see into our minds.

"I'll drive back with you. I can always pull out my computer to help." I said with a smile.

The smile I got back was breathtaking.

*******

Aww. How cute are they? --April