Chapter Twenty Eight

Just a heads up for this chapter - TW includes dysfunctional family/toxic family dynamics

Just a heads up for this chapter - TW includes dysfunctional family/toxic family dynamics. Your mental health always matters.

♡♡♡

At first glance, the woman that opened the door looked a lot like Aaliya. Dark hair, brown skin and the same build and stature. But the difference was in their body language. Instantly, I could sense that this woman, whom I assumed to be Aaliya's mother, was like a coiled snake, ready to spew venom at any given moment. The way she assessed her own daughter with a judgemental expression. How Aaliya's shoulders caved in as she made herself small. How she didn't want to inconvenience anybody just by one look at her mother. And I hated that. I didn't like one bit the effect this woman was having on mon soleil. But I held back, not wanting to immediately judge her, so that I could give her the benefit of the doubt. I didn't know the whole story, but it was clear that there was bad blood.

"Oh, babu!" She exclaimed as she opened the door further to let us in, glancing briefly at me before looking at her daughter again. "You're here!"

"Yes we are." The enthusiasm was obviously lacking in Aaliya's tone despite pasting on a smile. "This is...my boyfriend. Neil." She answered as her mother shot her a questioning look. Her answer surprised me and left me wondering if she was just lying or if she really meant it. We'd have to have a talk about that later.

"Boyfriend? Aaliya, why didn't you tell me!" She gestured for us to come in hurriedly as her face lit up. "I'm Disha. And this is my husband, Tarun."

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr and Mrs Joshi." I said with a fake smile as her father came up to us. I shook their hands before they led us to the living room of the very spacious apartment.

"You didn't tell us that you had a boyfriend, Aaliya. We've talked so many times over the phone." Disha's laugh sounded as fake as the leather couch we were sitting on as she shot daggers at her daughter. "What about Aryan?"

"Like I said, mumma," Aaliya gritted her teeth, emphasising the word. "I had no interest in getting married to him."

My blood boiled at the mention of what I presumed to be Dr Douchebag - the man Aaliya had gone out for lunch with. "Why would she?" I piped in. "When she has me?" I grinned, the malice behind it subtly conveying the audacity of this woman to say this shit in front of her daughter's boyfriend.

"Well, Neil," Tarun spoke up finally as he looked up from his phone. "What do you do for a living?"

"I actually work in finance." I replied slowly as I felt Aaliya stiffen beside me. "Aaliya and I actually met at a party." I lied, unsure of what exactly to say since we hadn't prepared. Though this came as close to the truth as it could be.

"Good, good." He nodded his head as his phone pinged, but he ignored it. "I, myself, work in finance as well. I'm the CFO of a very well known pharmaceutical company." He gloated , flicking his wrist at his wife as she got up and left. "The reason why I'm asking you is because I want to make sure that my daughter will be well cared for once you settle down and that she won't have to work."

The New ClassicOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara