11 | It Won't Be Long

Was he really even human? He looked human

Was he really even human? He looked human. He felt soft as a human. He smelled human-well, better actually. He acted human...sort of. But he didn't think like a human, or respond like one. What other option was there, though?

"What?" he demanded.

"It's nothing."

Mike Newton interrupted us then, entering the room with resentful, violent thoughts. "You look better," he said to him rudely.

My hand twitched, wanting to teach him some manners. I would have to watch myself, or I would end up actually killing this obnoxious boy.

"Just keep your hand in your pocket," Kook said. For one wild second, I thought he was talking to me.

"It's not bleeding anymore," he answered sullenly. "Are you going back to class?"

"Are you kidding? I'd just have to turn around and come back."

That was very good. I'd thought I was going to have to miss this whole hour with him, and now I got extra time instead. I felt greedy, a miser hording over each minute.

"Yeah, I guess..." Mike mumbled. "So are you going this weekend? To the beach?"

Ah, they had plans. Anger froze me in place. It was a group trip, though. I'd seen some of this in other students' heads. It wasn't just the two of them. I was still furious. I leaned motionlessly against the counter, trying to control myself.

"Sure, I said I was in," he promised him.

So he'd said yes to him, too. The jealousy burned, more painful than thirst.

No, it was just a group outing, I tried to convince myself

No, it was just a group outing, I tried to convince myself. He was just spending the day with friends. Nothing more.

"We're meeting at my dad's store, at ten." And Cullen's NOT invited.

"I'll be there," he said.

"I'll see you in Gym, then."

"See you," he replied.

He shuffled off to his class, his thoughts full of ire. What does he see in that freak? Sure, he's rich, I guess. The girls think he's hot, but I don't see that. Too... too perfect. I bet his dad experiments with plastic surgery on all of them. That's why they're all so white and pretty. It's not natural. And he's sort of...scary-looking. Sometimes, when he stares at me, I'd swear he's thinking about killing me... Freak...