Chapter 2

I was five minutes in to my first class, when I was called to the Principal's office. Mrs. O'Hara called me in once a month to check on me and ask how I was getting on. It was a bit ridiculous at this stage, I was fine. Most of the time anyway.

Mrs. O'Hara asked me how my parents and I were doing. I answered with the usual, "We're doing fine under the circumstances", when in fact it was the opposite. After sitting down and passing pleasantries, I noticed Detective Ronan Galligan standing awkwardly in the corner.

Detective Galligan was the man still searching for Elaine. I hated the sight him because he usually brought bad news. Last time I saw him in this office was when he told that Elaine's school bag was found. He was a tall imposing man with balding hair.

"Hello Maisie" he started "How are you today?"
"I'm alright, thanks" I replied.
"Good good, now I'm afraid I have more bad news for you," I nodded and sighed. "I'm afraid that I have to tell you that a finger was found near the cliff edge."
"We brought it for forensic examination and it is Elaine's finger." I nodded feeling sick. Another step away from finding Elaine alive. Detective Galligan was still talking in the background, I was just too deep in my own thoughts to hear him.

When I heard my Mother and Father mentioned I was brought back to reality with a start. He said that my parents had been informed but we're too grief stricken to come and tell me. "Where are they?"I snapped.
"They're in your house talking about having a funeral and burying Elaine's remains. The Guards are searching the surrounding areas to see if they find anything more." he told me.

Mrs. O'Hara looked at me concerned "Maisie, it might be best if you go home and spend time with your family and help plan the funeral." I nodded and went to leave "Remember dear we're all here for you if you need anything. We'd be happy to help you and your family." Mrs. O'Hara said. I nodded, I couldn't speak I was so shocked. Was this really it. Elaine's body found and a funeral and then it's all over.

Suddenly all the hope that my parents and I had had over the past year was gone. No more questions. Everything answered in a ten minute talk. That couldn't be it. Somebody killed her, but why? Elaine was the kindest person I ever met. She wouldn't hurt a fly.