Chapter Two

Shalestar had kept his word. The next day he traveled to the Highstones with Hawkfeather and Aspenglow. He returned the following day as Shalefire. Hawkfeather returned as Hawkstar.

     Brookkit felt her mother warm with pride as Hawkstar entered the camp

Brookkit felt her mother warm with pride as Hawkstar entered the camp. She looked up at her, confused.

"Mama?" She asked.

"Yes Brookkit?" Applefall replied, not taking her eyes off the returning cats.

"When will Daddy come back?"

Applefall stiffened.

"You said he'd been sent on a warrior mission. Won't he ever come back?"

There was silence for a moment. Then the golden she-cat nuzzled her kit softly. "I don't know."

But I don't want him to, she thought.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath the Highrock for a clan meeting!" Hawkstar's yowl rang out across the hollow.

"Come on," Applefall told her kit, "we'll watch from outside the nursery."

All the cats seemed very excited, and were shuffling around in their paws and whispering to each other.

"Didn't take Hawkstar very long to figure out who his deputy would be, did it?" One of the elders rasped.

"He probably had it figured out when he was deputy!" Another said.

Hawkstar, perched on top of the Highrock, signaled with his tail. The cats fell silent.

"Cats of ThunderClan," he began, "I'm honored to have become your leader. I shall do my best to serve and help you through both good and hard times."

The cats cheered.

"Shalefire." The black and white tom looked up at his former deputy. "I hope you enjoy your life in the elder's den. I also hope you will allow me to confide with you, just as if I were still deputy."

"Of course, Hawkstar," he rasped, "it would be my honor."

The cats' gazes softened a little upon hearing these words. This cat was more like the Shalefire they had known in the past.

"Then by ancient tradition, it is now time to choose a new deputy. I say these words before StarClan, that the spirits of our ancestors may hear and approve my choice."

Brookkit watched as almost every cat held their breath, waiting for their leader to speak again.

She saw Hawkstar's golden eyes shine and then, "Emberheart will be the new deputy."

Joyful meows of congratulations rang across the camp. Emberheart looked slightly embarrassed, but she dipped her head and said, "Although I am neither as experienced or wise as some of you, I promise to try my hardest in my new position, and to serve you the best I can."