Mutual Benefits = Strong Partnerships

It had been a few days since "Tommy Boy's" last message to the "FBI Guy." He was now in Langley. The "FBI Guy" decided to meet him at a coffee shop to discuss this further.

▪▪▪▪

As Jack walked into the coffee shop, he saw Ethan sitting at a table near the window. He made his way over and sat down opposite Ethan.

"Looks like you're living the good life these days," Jack said, looking at Ethan.

Ethan glanced out of the window, his eyes scanning the area, looking for any suspicious movements. Satisfied with what he saw, he turned back to Jack and said, "Didn't you bring anyone with you?"

Jack chuckled and replied, "Do I need to? I went through a lot of trouble to get you here, to Langley, just to make the CIA catch you in advance."

"You're right," Ethan admitted, "I checked your background and found that you work for the IRS and also their trump card as well. You've been on many missions in the past..."

"Do you really think I came here to hear about my past experiences?" Jack interrupted Ethan.

Jack ordered a cup of mocha and waited for the waiter to leave before continuing. "Those are just surface-level details. I believe you know what I'm capable of."

"Yes, I do," Ethan said, "Which is why I'm curious. What's in it for you?"

"With the power the IRS has combined with the fact that you're a trump card agent, you could have easily arrested me without having to gather much evidence and then slowly interrogate us for more information," Ethan asked.

"You're correct. I could have done that," Jack continued, "But I never did. Do you know why?"

"If I knew, I wouldn't be here asking," Ethan said, shrugging.

The morning sun cast a warm glow on the two men, dividing their faces into light and dark. They were two completely different styles of beauty, but they looked like perfect paintings at that moment.

"It's simple," Jack said, "It wouldn't have been beneficial for me. Well, what do you work for, Ethan?"

Ethan thought for a moment before answering, "I used to say that I loved the excitement, but now, after losing some of my team members, I don't see the point anymore."

"Exactly," Jack said, taking a sip of his coffee, "that's your answer. For me, it's all about the money. Only with money and a stable life will I be able to consider other things, like ideals."

Jack leaned back in his chair, a smirk playing on his lips, "That's my answer. What's yours?"

Ethan was skeptical about Jack's intentions. "So... are you trying to embezzle?" Ethan frowned, "The billions of dollars from the deal?"

"Yes," Jack nodded, with a mischievous gleam in his eye.

"Ethan, I'm curious if I said I have yet to hand in any money I have gotten as grey income. Will you put me behind bars?"

Ethan was taken aback, "I...I don't know. Should I...turn a blind eye to it?"

"Bingo!" Jack's eyes lit up, "That's exactly what my current boss is doing. Over the past year, I've made a deal with him. So, he's now the director, and I'm not breaking any rules. That's why I can do whatever you want."

"But that's wrong, isn't it?" Ethan frowned.

"It is," Jack agreed, "Even if everyone is doing it, they won't admit it in public."

"No matter who it is, including me," Jack said, crossing his arms, "As long as we're not caught, the income seems reasonable. But if we're discovered, then we'll be punished."

"That's why you didn't arrest me directly," Ethan asked,

"Why waste manpower and resources to catch you?" Jack raised an eyebrow.

"I'm doing this to help you catch the traitor," Jack added, sipping his coffee.

"This is a matter of moles within your CIA. If the IRS gets involved, it's ok, considering the friendly relationship between the two organizations," Jack explained.

"And, in any case, our goals don't conflict," Jack extended his hand, "You want evidence to catch the mole. I want the money. We can cooperate perfectly."

Ethan thought for a moment, then shook Jack's hand, "I need top-level support."

"Absolutely top-level," Jack nodded, tapping his finger on the table, "In addition to equipment and information, I'll be at the CIA headquarters to assist with your actions!"

"How do you plan to get in?" Ethan asked in surprise.

"For years, there have always been small conflicts between the IRS and the CIA," Jack grinned, pulling out a CD from his inner lining, "This is enough for me to get in. As for you and your team...I think you've already figured out a way, right?"

"Of course," Ethan looked at the CD in Jack's hand and immediately got the gist of Jack's idea. "Didn't you just say that your IRS and CIA are friendly and cooperative departments?"

"Friendly cooperation means that there's a certain degree of mutual interests, and there has to be some friction," Jack chuckled. He leaned against the window sill, his eyes glinting with a hint of mischievousness.

"If there's friction, it means that you can knock on their doors to stir up trouble, and at most, you can exchange benefits after the fact?" Ethan's mind raced, trying to keep up with Jack's thoughts.

"Yep, the so-called friendly cooperation is just a fancy term," Jack nodded, his lips twisting into a smirk. "You catch on quickly."

"I have to," Ethan replied, shaking his head and smiling ruefully.

"It's just part of the job," Jack added his tone that of someone who has seen it all. He patted Ethan on the shoulder, stood up, and made his way toward the door.

In reality, Jack was indeed a seasoned veteran. If you consider his previous life, he was nearly thirty years old at this point. However, the system's improvement to his body also included an extended lifespan, so Jack's appearance remained unchanged, still young and vibrant.

After Jack left, Ethan gazed out the window, taking in the bustling cityscape below. He let out a deep sigh of relief.

Jack's frank admission of his purpose was a massive weight off Ethan's shoulders. As an agent, Ethan was no stranger to the shady dealings of the world, especially after experiencing betrayal and the loss of his teammates. He knew better than to believe in the kindness of strangers.

Jack had said his purpose was to track down tax evaders, but Ethan only partially believed it. It wasn't until their conversation that Ethan finally confirmed Jack's true motives - the one billion dollars and possibly more, considering that the deal was worth 5 billion dollars.

This purpose was more concrete and trustworthy. However, Ethan had no claim to the money. His original goal was not the money but to track down the traitor who killed his team.

As long as their ultimate goals didn't clash, they could cooperate. For this reason, Ethan decided to shake hands with Jack and form a partnership, each getting what they wanted in the end.