Prologue

"...And these children

that you spit on

as they try to change their worlds

are immune to your consultations.

They're quite aware

of what they're going through..." ~David Bowie

Saturday, March 24, 1984

Shermer High School,

Shermer, Illinois, 60062

Dear Mr. Vernon,

We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did was wrong, but we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you want to see us. In the Simplest terms, the most convenient definitions. You see us as a Brain, an Athlete, a Basket Case, a Brooder, a Princess, and a Criminal. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at 7:00 this morning. We were brainwashed.

Kayla Summers sat in the passenger seat of her father's Volkswagen GTI. She knew why she was going to Saturday detention, but that didn't mean she agreed with it. She'd suffered almost four years of absolute torture and she'd finally snapped. Her saving grace was her two weirdo best friends and her father. Her mother was disgusted with her for not being more ladylike, but her father understood. He'd been in the principal's office, screaming that if they didn't do something about how she was treated then he'd have their jobs. He could do it to being on the school board. He was slightly disappointed in her that she hadn't told him sooner how she was being treated, but she was embarrassed. She'd had such high hopes for high school and her best friend ditched her to be popular, something she could have had but wasn't interested in. She heard her father sigh from beside her and she steeled herself for his words. "I don't condone violence, Kay, but I get it. I know it's not fair and I'm going to fix it. Just get through this Saturday and if it happens again, I need you to come to me, can you do that?" Kayla wasn't expecting that reaction. She knew that he'd been upset that she'd been bullied, but she'd taken matters into her own hands. She thought he'd be more like her mother and yell at her. She gave him a soft smile, pushing her straight, platinum blonde hair behind her ear. "I can do that, daddy." He leaned over and kissed her temple. "Try not to get into any more trouble, sweetie, and I'll see you at four." Kayla nodded, grabbed her lunch bag, and climbed out of the small car. She froze for a second when she saw the silver BMW that belonged to one of her tormentor's fathers. Without waiting, she ran into the school and into the bathroom.

Claire Standish sat in her father's brand-new BMW and looked at the school in disgust. She shouldn't be here; she was the most popular girl in school. How could she be in Saturday's all-day detention? She shook her head and sighed in disdain. "I can't believe you can't get me out of this." She complained. "I mean, it's so absurd I have to be here on a Saturday. It's not like I'm a defective or anything." Her father gave her a comforting smile and patted her shoulder. "I'll make it up to you," he began. "Honey, ditching class to go shopping, doesn't make you a defective." He said as he reached behind him and handed him her lunch bag. "Have a good day." Claire scowled at him, incredulous that he was still going to make her go.

Brian Johnson wanted to get out of the car, but his mother was lecturing him. It wasn't the first time, and it was because of her impossibly high standards that he was in this mess to begin with. His younger sister was leaning forward from the backseat with a smug smirk on her face as he uncomfortably looked away. "Is this the first time or the last time we do this?" His mother asked pointedly. "Last." He replied softly without looking at her. When he did glance over at her, she gave him a disappointed look that made him want to hurl. "Well get in there and use this time to your advantage." She demanded. Brian scoffed and shook his head. "Mom, we're not supposed to study today." He replied. "We're supposed to sit there and do nothing." He wished he hadn't said anything as his mother's face began to redden as she got angry. "Well mister, you figure out a way to study!" She practically yelled. His little sister grinned as she looked at him. "Yeah." She said with a giggle. He didn't say anything else as his mother continued to yell at him to get out of the car.

Andrew Clark knew he deserved worse than detention but knew he wouldn't get it. What he'd done to get detention was awful and he felt an incredible sense of remorse. It didn't matter though because he was a star athlete for the school, so he was barely given a slap on the wrist. He looked down at his feet from his dad's bronco and tried to block out his father's words. "Hey, I screwed around. Guys screw around. There's nothing wrong with that. Except you got caught, sport." His father admonished him. Andrew could feel tears tickling his eyes, but he pushed it back. "Yeah, mom already reamed me, alight?" he said a little forcefully. His father's voice came back at him, equally as forceful. "You want to miss a match?" He asked. "You want to blow your ride? Now no school's gonna give a scholarship to a discipline case!" Andrew turned to glare at his father, but instantly cleared the expression. Nodding he grabbed his bag with his lunch and climbed out of the car, slamming the door behind him.

John Bender was walking that day as his car was broken and he needed money to get the part to fix it. He looked straight ahead as a car came barreling towards him and he didn't break his stride as the car slammed on its breaks, narrowly missing him. He didn't care. He'd had a particularly rough day at his home the previous night, so he was actually looking forward to a free day. People thought he was a screw up and a criminal. Really, he just didn't want to be home on the weekends, so he purposefully got detention. His grades were well enough to graduate, and he didn't plan on going to college, so it didn't matter. His arm stung as his sleeve rubbed against it, but he ignored it. He'd endured worse and he probably would again until he did graduate and get out. He had kind of hoped he'd have the library to himself today, but judging from the cars he'd seen it was going to be a full room. That was just great, he could entertain himself and make the day go by quicker.

Allison Reynolds was nervous as her mother pulled up to the school, almost slamming into John Bender, the resident bad boy. She'd hoped by telling her mom she had Saturday detention that she'd have a reaction, but she didn't. She just shook her head like it was typical even though it wasn't. Truth was, Allison wasn't supposed to be there. Both of her best friends had been given detention and she was worried about them, so she decided to go. It wasn't like Vernon was going to notice or anything, he was a dick and lived up to the name. She climbed out of the backseat as her younger sister took the passenger seat. Her mother was taking her shopping as a reward for not getting detention. She paused as she closed the door, conflicted about if she should say something. When she leaned down to wave, her mom sped forward, completely ignoring her once again.

Today would be a day to remember for the breakfast club.