prologue 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐲𝐧 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐨𝐧.

GLIMPSES OF ARABESQUE.
❨ the fall of evelyn stratton. ❩
chapter / 000

September 18th, 1999.

      THUNDER ROARED AS RAIN FELL AGAINST THE LARGE SCHOOL, its droplets tapping rhythmically against its worn exterior. Within the Sterling School for Ballet and Performing Arts, a tapestry of artistry and raw talent glistened in the night with each student a shining star in the night's grand performance. However, the back of the school, a softly lit room adorned with delicate decor. a young girl sat alone before a grand vanity, her fingers carefully placing her blonde hair into a neat and perfect bun with one curled strand of her hair on both sides. Beside her lay a small pill, a reflective glimmering capsule of echostim—an over-the-counter pill for nervousness that often took hold of her.

Rising from her seat, she examined her form with a pristine white leotard and delicate light pink tights.

Maybe I'm too skinny? Too fat?

Despite the persistent whispers of dysphoria, the thought of the echostim giving her relief lingered in the back of her mind. "Evelyn?" She heard from a distance. The distant call of her name, carried by a familiar voice, reached her ears as they were approaching.

Evelyn's heart quickened sitting back down. A sigh escaped her lips as she popped the pill into her mouth, chasing it with a sip of cool water from her water bottle.

"Evelyn, are you almos-" The words caught in their throat. It was Adrian. His curls were a little messy and breathing hard like he just got off stage. His gaze locked onto Evelyn, lost in the depths of the beauty in front of him.

Observing her, he noted the gentle strokes of makeup—a pink hue gracing her eyelids, and a nervous habit of biting her rosy-painted lips. "You ok?, E" Adrian's face became serious, pulling up a chair next to her. He closed the door to give them some privacy.

"Um..." Evelyn's hands shook and Adrian took them in his gently. "Mi amor..." Adrian rubbed her palms.

"Come here." He pulled the girl softly into his chest. He rubbed her back as one of her tears fell on his black leotard. "You don't have to tell me. It's okay," his words were soothing, his arms a sanctuary for her tears.

"Come on, let's go out there and dance our hearts out." Adrian's reassuring hand rubbed her back before gently guiding her to her feet. "Cariña... Confía en ti misma," he whispered before planting a kiss on her forehead, signaling that he understood her even if he didn't know exactly what it was.

The couple rose together, his hand brushing away her tears with care, leaving her makeup untouched. Adrian opened the door, as the gentleman he is, inviting Evelyn to step through. "Ladies first," he grinned, his affectionate nature carrying them towards the stage.

Evelyn then grabbed her tutu which was on a rack behind her. She planted a kiss on his cheek, silent gratitude for what the couple shared. Maybe it was his motivation. Maybe it was the echostim finally settling into her system. Evelyn was feeling better than ever.

A fellow dancer with wild curls had their hair in a high bun and an infectious smile playing on their lips coming offstage seeing Evelyn. A big hug made between the two. It was warm and genuine, the bond evident in their tight embrace.