Summer

Fade In:

Ext. River home, deck-Day.

Clear sky, bright sunny day. A river run alongside the home. On the deck, Becky, 17, wears a bikini and oversized sunglasses and lounges in a deck chair. Sounds of birds chirping in the trees. The rocking of waves as the river travels by.

Creak and bang. The screen door slams closed. Mrs. Granger, 37, walks out of the house, she puts on a large sun hat. Becky stirs from her chair and looks at her MOTHER.

Mrs. Granger

I am going into town. I will be back in a couple of hours. I will also have lunch with Susanne and pick up some groceries. Do you have your keys and cell phone with you?

Becky weakly waves her off and reclines back into the chair's cushions.

Becky

Yes, I have everything with me. I will see you soon.

Mrs. Granger starts to walk away but stops.

Mrs. Granger

Did you remember to put sunscreen on? You don't want to burn.

Becky lazily waves at her again. She moves to get comfortable.

Becky

I won't be out for much longer, I promise.

Car engine roars. Birds fly away in the distance. The car drives away, and there is peace and quiet once again. Becky slowly closes her eyes and falls asleep.

-30 minutes later-

Becky yawns and stretches awake. Her tummy rumbles, and she touches it. Becky stretches to the door and tries the handle. Locked. She tries to open it again and again. Becky walks back to the chair and reaches underneath it. Nothing. Her fingers sweep frantically underneath. She looks under the chair and sees nothing. Becky puts both hands on her cheeks and moans.

Cut to:

Int. Kitchen-Day.

Keys, cell phone, and a half-frozen bottle of water resting on the kitchen counter.

Cut to:

Ext. River home, deck-Day.

Becky rushes frantically to the door and tries desperately to open it.

Becky

No! This can't be. Why did she lock the door?

Becky returns to the chair exhausted, pulls on a thin summer dress, and shoves her feet in her flip-flops. She goes to the front of the house and tries to front door. Locked. She goes to each of the windows and tries to open them. All locked. Becky snags a flip-flop on a bush. She gets it free but falls. She rubs her elbow and then looks at the broken flip-flop. She pounds her fist on the ground

Becky goes back to the lounge chair, upset. She tries to relax, but the sun starts to irritate her. She tries to cover herself with her dress. She taps her finger impatiently. Becky gets frustrated.

Becky moves and looks around the house. On the side facing the river, she sees an open window on the second story. The curtains blow softly in the slight breeze. Becky starts to make her way slowly to the window. She creeps gradually towards it, hanging on for her life. Almost there, she loses her grip and falls into the river below. She sinks below the surface of the water.

Mrs. Granger returns to the house. She is singing joyfully in the car. She parks and makes her way onto the deck with bags in her hands.

Mrs. Granger

I am sorry. I was out longer than I expected, but Susanne and I ran into Ginger, and of course, we did a bit more shopping than usual. It was great. Ginger's husband bought another boat, and we are invited to go out sometime.

Becky wet and grumpy sits on the lounge chair.

Becky

(Mumbles)

Great

Mrs. Granger unlocks the door.

Mrs. Granger

How was your alone time?

Becky

You don't want to know.

Fade Out:

The End