Chapter 9 - Declaration

Total Words - 1571

╔═.✾. ═══════════════════════╗

*Two weeks into Hogwarts*

In the midst of the September breeze, René found herself immersed in the ebb and flow of classes. Some subjects captivated her attention, while others failed to spark her interest. Academic pursuits weren't exactly her top priority, though. René had a reputation for studying more than the average student, yet her approach was far from being the model of a dedicated scholar. Her grades often belied the amount of effort she put in, leaving others puzzled by her academic performance.

René often found herself waking up before her dorm mates. She harbored a certain disdain for the others she shared her dormitory with, with the exception of Millicent, who proved to be a more agreeable presence. Daphne and Pansy, on the other hand, engaged in endless and often pointless conversations that would sometimes carry on late into the night, much to René's annoyance.

Their dungeon dormitories offered ample opportunities for mischief, but the lack of sunlight was a drawback. As René stirred and stretched in her bed preparing to get up, her lips forming a rosy line, she contemplated the challenges of her living situation.

Rising from her bed, René stretched her body and quenched her thirst with a glass of water. She went about her usual morning routine, tidying up herself and her space and donning her uniform. As she went about her tasks, the other girls were now awake and in motion. Daphne piped up, "You know, René, we have an important announcement during lunch today."

René turned to Daphne with a nod, a hint of amusement in her eyes. "Oh, really? I almost forgot about that," she replied in a slightly sarcastic tone. It wasn't that she had forgotten; it was simply that Daphne felt the need to remind her.

Daphne raised an eyebrow, not fully buying René's response. "Well, you're welcome for the reminder," she said, her tone a mixture of teasing and smugness.

René smirked and continued with her routine, intentionally not giving Daphne the satisfaction of a more dramatic response. "Thank you, Daphne. I appreciate your helpful reminders," she said with a hint of playful sarcasm. Daphne chuckled and exchanged knowing glances with the other girls. It was a typical interaction between them, a dynamic that had developed over the years.

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

The day progressed with the usual awkwardness of Professor Trelawney's Divination lesson. After the rather dull class, Blaise, Sara, and René found themselves gathered near the shore of the Black Lake with the other Slytherin members at a distance. They had heard that the Durmstrang students were arriving in a ship, and the prospect of witnessing such an arrival filled them with excitement.

The three friends stood there as the anticipation grew, the distant sound of chanting and singing became audible. René's heart quickened, and she exchanged an excited glance with Blaise and Sara. The Durmstrang ship appeared on the horizon and approached quick, gliding effortlessly across the water. It was an impressive sight, with its dark, sleek design and intricate carvings.

Blaise, Sara, and René watched in awe as the Durmstrang students disembarked, each one stepping onto the land with an air of confidence and mystery. "I've never seen anything like this," Sara whispered, her eyes wide.

René nodded as the Durmstrang students began to organize themselves and make their way towards the castle. Then it dawned on René. Watching the Durmstrang students arrive, I wonder if this signals the return of the Triwizard Championship she began to think. Their presence here, coupled with Dumbledore's impending announcement, I am sure! That must be it!