Sneak Peek

Athena wakes up to the sound of little footsteps running down the hall, followed by paws slamming on the ground. She hears her little brother's quick breathing, and the excited whimpering of his new puppy due to the gift of her fae hearing.

"Your Highness, slow down!" the delicate voice of her lady's maid yells as she enters the 3-room bedroom. Athena sniffs the air, smelling her breakfast, noting the steaming chocolate croissant.

After setting down a silver tray onto the dining table, the maid paces over to the pale-yellow curtains next to Athena's bed, tearing them open to allow the rays of sun into her room, shining directly onto her face.

"Good morning, Your Highness. It is time to get up, their Majesties guests are arriving before lunch and they asked for you to be present when they arrive," her lady's maid instructs as she begins to set up her breakfast. The princess covers her face with her pale arms, whining, "But, Clarisse, what if I do not want to wake up yet." Clarisse chuckles and decides to rip off the silk blankets, "Unfortunately, Princess, your parents may have my head if you do not show."

Athena sits up, gasping dramatically, "How rude of you to assume that my parents would do such a thing! Maybe I will have your head for that comment." Clarisse arches her brow, folding her arms still holding the silk covers, "Your Highness, your food will get cold if you continue to stay in bed. Come on! We must dress you after you eat."

"Fine, but only for you shall I eat my breakfast, and maybe because you brought me that chocolate croissant," Athena smiles at her maid with amusement in her eyes and she swings her feet onto her cold, marbled floor.

Clarisse laughs as she begins to make the princesses green and cream bed, "I will never understand you and your fae abilities." Athena struts to her eight-person glass table to where her breakfast spread lies, sitting delicately onto her gold chair at the head of the table.

She spoons some of the hot eggs into her mouth, "I am not totally even sure where these guests are coming from anyways, we have not hosted anyone since all of the mayhem began in the West years ago."

"What about those soldiers from Doranelle that stayed with us two years ago? Before Queen Maeve went, um, before she," Clarisse stumbled over her words.

"Before Maeve decided to show her true colors and that she abuses and manipulates? You are allowed to say it, Clarisse, she is dead now. The Whitethorns are finally back on the throne, as they should have been hundreds of years ago. Our neighbors are peaceful once again and will hopefully create a better trade agreement," the Crowned Princess continues, almost spitting at the facts.

"I did not want to offend, but you speak the truth, Princess. I am surprised your parents did not tell you more about the guests. They are coming from the Kingdom of Terrasen, Queen Aelin Galathynius is sending an ambassador to spend time in the palace for around a year I believe," her lady's maid states nonchalantly, focusing on the pillowcases in her hands.

Athena coughs on her eggs, "Terrasen? Aelin Galathynius of Terrasen is sending ambassadors to stay with us?" Clarisse sets the pillows down, looking at her Princess in the eyes, calculating on what to say next, "I am shocked you were not told."

"Sometimes my parents like to surprise me to see how I react, tests for me before they feel comfortable telling me that I am ready to become Queen. I knew that they were coming here for a year to learn from our scholars, but I did not know they were coming from Terrasen.

This must be the first people they've sent out in this way since Adarlan attempted to wipe them out. I cannot believe that we have an ambassador from Terrasen coming. I have not seen Aelin since I was invited to her eighth birthday party, the last one she would have had with her parents," Athena's gray eyes glaze over as the memories flood over her.