10. Burned

Spinning infinity, boy

The light was fading, creating new shadows and dark patches around me. Eyes glimmered from tree hollows. The wind wailed between distorted trunks, carrying the sickly stink of wood rot. I moved faster, ignoring the briers that caught at my paws, the damp leaves that grimed my fur. 

I lifted my snout, letting the light and shadow dance across my dark fur. Birds hummed in and out of the penny royal. I inhaled its minty smell and continued on, delighting in the sound of my paws sliding through the leaves. The trees stood utterly still, statues in a living museum where no leaf dared to fall. 

My ears twitched as I focused on the sounds that echoed throughout the darkened forest. My paws were thumping against the ground, owls hooting into the thick air, animals scurrying for shelter as I came pounding past them. 

I sighed as I slowed down to a slow pace, looking around in curiosity. I had never come across this part of the forest. I had always stuck near the Hale house, but, tonight I had been too distracted. 

I yawned, snapping my jaw shut I sniffed and followed my scent leading me out of the forest and into the plains at the Hale house. I shifted back and lightly jogged over to where I had left my clothes and quickly put them on. 

_

"What?" I questioned as I paced my living room. 

"Come to the police station with me, Scott and my dad. Please, please, please?" Stiles begged over the phone. I scrunched my face up in confusion. 

"What? Why?" 

"Back up," I huffed and thought for a second. 

"Fine/"

_

"Its two in the morning?" The woman behind the desk questioned with an emotionless face. I huffed as I stood next to Stiles.

"Believe me, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't extremely important," Mr Stilinski reasoned with a sigh. 

"We look at the hospital stuff first, okay," Stiles whispered to Scott and I. 

"Why?" Scott questioned. 

"Because all of the murders were committed by Jackson except for one. Remember?" Stiles explained looking between us. Scott nodded and looked forwards again. 

"Thank you," Mr Stilinski nodded in gratitude and sigh at us before  venturing behind the desk. The three of us shuffling in behind him. "Boys and girl."

"I don't know guys, I mean look at this, there was a six car pile up that night, the hospital was jammed," Stilinski started, all of us looking at the computer screen. 

"Just, keep going. He had to pass one of the cameras on that floor to get to Jessica. He's gotta' be on the footage somewhere," Stiles argued back.

Scott and I exchanged looks before looking at the screen again.

"Oh hold on! Stop did you see that? Scroll back," Scott shouted out suddenly looking between us and the screen. 

We watched as he rewound it and my eyes widened in recognition. "That's him! That's Matt," Stiles pointed out.

"All I see is the back of someones head," Stilinski said with a scrunched up face. 

"That's Matt's head, yeah. I sit behind him in history. He's got a very distinct head. Its weird," Stiles mumbled. 

"I second that I," I mumbled.

"Are you crazy?" Stilinski asked the two of us. 

"Fine then, look at his jacket, huh? How many people do you know who wear black leather jackets?" Stiles asked.